How Cat Burglars Got Their Name

My daughter the Vet and her better half have a cat. Bozzy. He’s a big boy and likes a bit of a tussle. Sadly he also has feline HIV so fighting isn’t good for all sorts of reasons.

Being the caring Vet and pet owner, their garden is now fenced with a cat proof fence, but despite these precautions, Bozzy still tests every inch to seek an escape route.

Today, as the Vet got ready to catch a flight she was up early. Bozzy was sitting on top of a fence post looking in rather than out. she managed to help back inside the garden but then dash off. An hour later and off went her hub.

Could I try and find out how he did it and block his escape route.

I did. I removed some trellising and blocked some tiny gaps, all the while being watched by Bozzy who then tested out the new defenses.

He’s some cat.

After I had to lock him in….

but some kibble helped…

My name is Geoff Le Pard. Once I was a lawyer; now I am a writer. I've published several books: a four book series following Harry Spittle as he grows from hapless student to hapless partner in a London law firm; four others in different genres; a book of poetry; four anthologies of short fiction; and a memoir of my mother. I have several more in the pipeline. I have been blogging regularly since 2014, on topic as diverse as: poetry based on famous poems; memories from my life; my garden; my dog; a whole variety of short fiction; my attempts at baking and food; travel and the consequent disasters; theatre, film and book reviews; and the occasional thought piece. Mostly it is whatever takes my fancy. I avoid politics, mostly, and religion, always. I don't mean to upset anyone but if I do, well, sorry and I suggest you go elsewhere. These are my thoughts and no one else is to blame. If you want to nab anything I post, please acknowledge where it came from.
This entry was posted in cats, miscellany and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to How Cat Burglars Got Their Name

He was determined.

2. Oh bless him, what a gorgeous boy!

3. Smart kitty. He’s gonna do it……………………..

4. I had a 22-pound Maine Coon who was a master escape artist. One of his most favorite things was to lie in the middle of the road. No, he died of old age by some miracle.

5. Bridgette says:

That’s one determined cat!

6. noelleg44 says:

Clever fellah. And determined.

7. iamthesunking says:

What a brilliant cat! And he looks MASSIVE (but then, don’t they all compared to mine?).

8. Darlene says:

He certainly is a determined little fellow. So cute to see him try to get out in spite of your efforts.

9. Elizabeth says:

You are a devoted dad. My husband had to do the same to keep my daughter’s dogs in her yard. Each had clever escape routes just like your daughter’s cat.

10. petespringerauthor says:

I’m more of a dog person, but I love watching cats and other intelligent animals trying to problem-solve.

So very cat, I’d that a glass he has to drink his water from, next to his food…. Such a toff 🤣🤣

12. tootlepedal says:

I am glad to see strenuous efforts being made to keep a cat in its own premises. Many of our local cat owners seem to think that letting bird killers loose in other people’s gardens is fine.

13. V.M.Sang says:

What a cat. I bet it wouldn’t be long before he figured out how to get over the overhang.

14. Suzanne says:

It fills in a day and keeps the mind active says Bozzy [a kinder name than bossy?]

15. trifflepudling says:

A friend’s cat drinks his water out of a Guardian mug!