How Uncanny Is That?

I never really understood surrealism if I’m honest. Spoilt child art or so it seemed. Of course there were exceptions. The Dali melting clocks and hot lips sofa were intriguing as was some of Magritte’s work with fruit and headgear.

But generally there was a lot of weird sex, fish based cookware, paranoid landscapes and feitishised doodles.

Which proves I’m a philistine, irredeemably bourgeoise and incapable of painting my dreams.

There’s another word for that state of being. As well as dull. It’s normal.

Today the Textiliste and I visited the Tate Modern for their Surrealism: Beyond Borders looking at surrealism from its origins in Europe to the central and South American countries and back via post war America.

Really quite interesting.

Like a display of waterproof footwear would be to a rubber aficionado.

We had a nice lunch after…

My name is Geoff Le Pard. Once I was a lawyer; now I am a writer. I've published several books: a four book series following Harry Spittle as he grows from hapless student to hapless partner in a London law firm; four others in different genres; a book of poetry; four anthologies of short fiction; and a memoir of my mother. I have several more in the pipeline. I have been blogging regularly since 2014, on topic as diverse as: poetry based on famous poems; memories from my life; my garden; my dog; a whole variety of short fiction; my attempts at baking and food; travel and the consequent disasters; theatre, film and book reviews; and the occasional thought piece. Mostly it is whatever takes my fancy. I avoid politics, mostly, and religion, always. I don't mean to upset anyone but if I do, well, sorry and I suggest you go elsewhere. These are my thoughts and no one else is to blame. If you want to nab anything I post, please acknowledge where it came from.
This entry was posted in art, miscellany, surreal and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to How Uncanny Is That?

1. Pam Lazos says:

Sounds lovely. I’m a fan of Dali and Bosch, but the flesh eating stuff is a bit hard to take like in the garden of earthly delights. Perhaps they were tripping when they worked. 😂😂

2. noelleg44 says:

Sounds like the best thing was the lunch! I do like Dali and Bosch but the rest reminds me of a bad LSD trip – not that I’ve taken one, but maybe the artists did.

3. Hanging out with your best-gal, sounds surrealy nice to me!

4. There is something to be said about a nice lunch. Also, how do you manage to take photos in the museum? Here they discourage it with truncheons. (It could just be the flash aspect. The pandemic has wiped my memory of museum visits) Does sound like a lovely day.

5. Erika says:

I have my trouble with abstract art and surrealism. It rather scares me in some way. Of course, you look at it differently when you know the people behind it and even call them your best friends.
    Have you ever heard of Vladimir Kush. The only surrealistic art that made me feel really good and inspired me. I actually stand in awe when I see his artwork. If you have time you need to check this out https://vladimirkush.com

I think you both deserved a lunch after that! …and breakfast and tea and supper too!!

7. I like the train coming out of the fireplace. That sort of makes sense to me. The rest are not quite my thing! I’d go for the lunch though.

8. George says:

Q. How may surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. A Fish

9. George says:

There’s a great story about Dali. Apparently in later years, despite being hugely famous, he was short on cash. He ran up a huge bill on credit over many months at his favourite bar. Eventually, after the proprietor confronted Salvador and asked when he was intending to pay it.

“Now”, he replied and promptly pulled out a cheque book, safe in the knowledge that, while the cheque would certainly bounce, the proprietor would never attempt to cash it, because Dali’s autograph might ultimately be worth more.

10. I can’t bear Surrealism! I don’t see the point – it’s like a very bad dream that you’re incredibly glad to wake up from. Not sure of the point of revisiting it in waking hours. The only kind of paining I hate more is Banksy stuff and similar – art?? Depressing c**p.
    Fun photo of you too, though!

11. Elizabeth says:

I am glad to see the Textiliste is willing to show up once again in your post. She looks anything but surreal! As for the surrealists, they got to seem more normal and less jarring after all the music album covers of my youth.

12. Widdershins says:

Some of it is fabulous but if they go too far beyond the pale, I’m singularly unimpressed … I’m probably half-philistine. 😀

13. Chel Owens says:

I hadn’t realized you were such an aficionado. I would enjoy this show as well.

14. Rowena says:

What a wonderful discussion, and wouldn’t it be even better if all of us could meet in person over lunch and chat in person. I would be in seventh heaven talking about art and writing instead of cars and covid.

Oh true. How are the lessons? Have you punched a hole in the floor with your brake foot yet?

• Rowena says:

Not year, but she came close to having an accident on a roundabout when she was out with Geoff on about her third drive. I drove straight over a roundabout in the rain that night and gave myself a nasty fright but went past today and there’s no reflectors or reflective paint on the roundabout or roundabout sign, so I’m vindicated.
        Meanwhile, I’m questioning certain aspects about leaving lockdown and am not so sure I’m as enamoured with people as I used to
        be. I’ve become more idealistic than I used to be, and let’s just say I’ve been “disappointed”.
        Meanwhile, as you might’ve notice in my posts, J is off on the Young Endeavour sailing from Geelong to Sydney arriving this Wednesday. I can’t wait to hear how it’s gone.

Hope the sailing was as good as hoped. You’d never get me doing that..

• Rowena says:

J arrives home tomorrow, although we have been treated to a few phone calls. A few of the youthies were symptomatic and tested positive for covid and were promptly despatched. at this point the arrival has been scaled back a bit and my parents pulled out and our daughter is staying home. Youthies from Victoria being close contacts and in isolation are unable to fly and being bused home. We were already unable to go onboard. However, he’s had a wonderful time and apparently they’re planning to stay up all night, and I can’t blame them. It’s such an amazing experience, I’d be wanting to squeeze out every last drop as well.