Dinner For Two

I felt a bit cooky yesterday. I have this thing about trying hard not to waste anything so some meals tend to involve whats in the fridge, freezer or cupboards. Dog was sceptical.

Yesterday that was a roll of puff pastry, some left over cauliflower cheese and mash and some bits of veg: tomatoes, a pepper, an aubergine, the end of some parsley.

I added a pot of ricotta to the cauli/spuds and having prebaked the pastry on a baking tray, spread the mix on the bottom and piled the chopped veg on top.

Voilà!

Languishing in the cupboards there was a bit of dried fruit. In thr freezer some small brioche rolls. Having soaked the fruit in boiling water I put in a trifle bowl, piled in the broken brioche and left to soak. Meanwhile I made a coconut milk custard with one 400ml can of the milk, three egg yolks, some sugar and cornflower (35g of each) and some soaked gelatine. That went on top, and after being chilled (the trifle, not me) another Voilà!

Because I was on a roll and the supermarket had some out of date raspberries and I had a tin of peaches I made a peach melba cake….

The top caught a little but trimmed and frosted today ot should be lovely.

Voilà.

That was fun. Not much writing though… not sure Dog approved…

My name is Geoff Le Pard. Once I was a lawyer; now I am a writer. I've published several books: a four book series following Harry Spittle as he grows from hapless student to hapless partner in a London law firm; four others in different genres; a book of poetry; four anthologies of short fiction; and a memoir of my mother. I have several more in the pipeline. I have been blogging regularly since 2014, on topic as diverse as: poetry based on famous poems; memories from my life; my garden; my dog; a whole variety of short fiction; my attempts at baking and food; travel and the consequent disasters; theatre, film and book reviews; and the occasional thought piece. Mostly it is whatever takes my fancy. I avoid politics, mostly, and religion, always. I don't mean to upset anyone but if I do, well, sorry and I suggest you go elsewhere. These are my thoughts and no one else is to blame. If you want to nab anything I post, please acknowledge where it came from.
This entry was posted in cake, dogs, food, miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Dinner For Two

1. Seriously impressive

2. Dog appears to have your best interest at heart… You are certainly unleashing your inner Julia Child, that’s for sure.

3. joylennick says:

Well, your readers may have been neglected, but your stomach certainly had a ball! Yummy.

4. Darlene says:

Some yummy inventions! I love using up what I have on hand.

5. arlingwoman says:

A day of creative cooking is so satisfying. I think Dog’s initial look says “I’m not getting anything out of this, am I?”

6. We’re all in the dining room waiting!

7. noelleg44 says:

Your creative cooking has me amazed. But poor dog – not a bite for him?

8. JT Twissel says:

Were are the videos? Yum.

9. Erika says:

If you need a job, you can start at my house 😅 This all looks so good!

10. Can I come to dinner? Looks lovely!!

11. Looks lovely, Geoff.

12. Marsha says:

May I come for dinner? Wow! That all looks fabulous. I thought this was going to be a spoof on good cooking, but nooooooo. Yummy!

13. Pingback: Story Chat Y2 Summary – “When Gratitude Is Hard to Come by.” – Marsha Ingrao – Always Write

14. Dog is exhausted just watching you. I’m exhausted just reading about it! It all looks yummy.

15. petespringerauthor says:

Well done, Geoff! Never throw anything out—a Springer trait.

16. Yummy! 🙂 Have a nice day! xx Michael

17. Widdershins says:

Leftover Cookery, by Jeffery Leopard (just in case someone from the taxation department is reading! 😀 )

18. You are so creative. I too like creating a tasty dinner from left over veggies that has seen better days. 🙂