Sucking Lemons And Other Cake Options

I had polenta and ground almonds and a box of lemons.

So I made a cake.

Lemon cakes come in many forms but the only good ones involve being soaked with a lemon syrup after baking…

This one ticks those boxes.

My mother used to make a lemon cake with icing; the Textiliste isn’t an icing person, sadly. marriage is a compromise balancing lemons and icing. Is that the same for all? I wonder.

Anyway, this little puppy is easy.

Here’s the ingredients

Nigella. Yep, the queen of cream so be prepared to reduce the sugar. I cut off at least a third.

Oh, the directions…

Bash the sugar and butter together. Do you struggle? I never really get the butter to a correct consistency. Too runny and everything’s a blob; too hard and the butter flies around the kitchen when you set the beater to it. Once I’d scraped sugary lumps back into the bowl and the butter sugar combo was a lighter colour, I mixed the dry ingredients (inc. lemon zest) in three sections each with an egg. The instructions for this stage can be a bit precious but so long as everything is mixed well it always seems to work. Or I’m just lucky.

Oh and I used more lemons than above. What can I say? I like it lemony.

Once mixed slip into the prepared tin – that’s on the photo above. Then into the oven.

Meanwhile put the juice and about half the icing sugar, unless you have a seriously sweet tooth into a pan and heat and mix.

When the cake passes the stick in, stick out, with no cake then leave to cool for a few mins in the tin. Perforate with a kebab stick and saturate with the syrup.

Cool on a rack.

Eat.

And eat.

And maybe eat some more….

Lemon cake? Where?

My name is Geoff Le Pard. Once I was a lawyer; now I am a writer. I've published several books: a four book series following Harry Spittle as he grows from hapless student to hapless partner in a London law firm; four others in different genres; a book of poetry; four anthologies of short fiction; and a memoir of my mother. I have several more in the pipeline. I have been blogging regularly since 2014, on topic as diverse as: poetry based on famous poems; memories from my life; my garden; my dog; a whole variety of short fiction; my attempts at baking and food; travel and the consequent disasters; theatre, film and book reviews; and the occasional thought piece. Mostly it is whatever takes my fancy. I avoid politics, mostly, and religion, always. I don't mean to upset anyone but if I do, well, sorry and I suggest you go elsewhere. These are my thoughts and no one else is to blame. If you want to nab anything I post, please acknowledge where it came from.
This entry was posted in baking, food, miscellany and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Sucking Lemons And Other Cake Options

1. Darlene says:

Oh, I am so going to make this cake!! Lemons grow wild here and I always have more than I know what to do with. Like you, I will cut the sugar down, probably to half and add more lemons. No icing here either but a drizzle is OK.

2. JT Twissel says:

Polenta? Interesting. I’m definitely an icing person – the more the better!

3. Lemon Polenta Cake sounds sexy… Dog seems to agree.

4. Dog is looking for his share. The cake sounds delicious. I never thought about polenta for a cake. We have cornbread, so why not?

5. A cake made with polenta is interesting, Geoff.

6. petespringerauthor says:

I married an Italian girlβ€”no shortage of polenta around here.

7. trifflepudling says:

A bit of icing swirled back and forth across the top, yes; buttercream, no (yeuck)! Nice looking cake πŸ˜‹

We will be seeing you cooking on TV soon Geoff! πŸ’œ

9. Pam Lazos says:

Geoff, Geoff, Geoff, you forgot the most amazing ingredient: rosemary! Add it to your polenta cake next time and you will be amazed at the transformation. Also, I’m with you on the icing.

10. Erika says:

I never thought of using polenta for a lemon cake. That’s actually cool. I still have some polenta I need to use up. Oh, and I too love it lemony. A lemon cake has to be really lemony.

11. noelleg44 says:

Great minds must think alike because I am getting ready to make a lemon pound cake – five eggs and lots of butter. Then a good drenching with a lemon sauce. I do like the idea of using polenta!

12. Widdershins says:

Any left? πŸ˜€

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )