Finding Our Inner Hero. #carrotranch #creativewriting #morganandlogan

This week’s #carrotranch prompt is

April 8, 2021, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less), write a story that “rethinks the hero.” Define the hero, comparing or contrasting to the classic definition. Break the mold. What happens to the hero in the cave? Is it epic or everyday? Is there resistance or acceptance? Go where the prompt leads!

‘That was intense.’

‘Another course, Morgan?’

‘Yeah. “Live your own hero.”’

‘Are you?’

‘Me? Not even in my own lunchtime.’

‘You’ve time.’

‘Thanks. You ever been a hero, Logan.’

‘Not knowingly. Though there was Mr Patel.’

‘Mr Patel?’

‘Ran the corner shop. Called me: “my little hero”.’

‘Why?’

‘I saved his shop from being robbed.’

‘Wow.’

‘Not really. This bloke told him to give him the till. I distracted him and Mr Patel hit him with the takings.’

‘How old were you?’

‘Seven.’

‘What did you do?’

‘Fart.’

‘That would do it. You found the hero inside yourself…’

‘Thanks.’

This entry was posted in carrot ranch, creative writing, flash fiction, humour, miscellany, morgan and logan and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Finding Our Inner Hero. #carrotranch #creativewriting #morganandlogan

A good fart can get you places! 🚶🏽‍♂️💨

Only you, Geoff. I laughed out loud. Snorted even. Well done.

Ah ha. My father had a French master who had lost half his intestines to gas in the trenches. He farted often and copiously as a result. Dad said that at 13 making ‘Bloffer’ – that being a private school word for farting – James fart was seen as a rite of passage but at 43 he realised how cruel it was. So when my brother started at the school and Bloffer was still teaching dad steeled himself to apologise. As he approached the now ancient teacher dad realised that time and tide hadn’t improved his offerings and had to turn away. Cowardice in the face of a challenging enemy, dad oft times regretted he couldn’t find the hero.

3. A very good distraction, Geoff.

What a stinker …..

5. Excellent, Geoff. A fart by any other name is still a distraction.

6. Jennie says:

That was funny!

Upon second reading, I’m suspicious about what was intense!

8. Pingback: Rethinking the Hero « Carrot Ranch Literary Community

9. An entertaining story. Goes to show you that heroes come in all shapes and sizes … and smells.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )