Spring Has Sprung

There are many signs of spring that I love. For me it’s not a date in the calendar but a

A daffodil

A showing from the magnolias

But most of all it’s when we see the first sign of March

Or should that be marching?

Yep, Vicky is up and marching

Hello spring!!

My name is Geoff Le Pard. Once I was a lawyer; now I am a writer. I've published several books: a four book series following Harry Spittle as he grows from hapless student to hapless partner in a London law firm; four others in different genres; a book of poetry; four anthologies of short fiction; and a memoir of my mother. I have several more in the pipeline. I have been blogging regularly since 2014, on topic as diverse as: poetry based on famous poems; memories from my life; my garden; my dog; a whole variety of short fiction; my attempts at baking and food; travel and the consequent disasters; theatre, film and book reviews; and the occasional thought piece. Mostly it is whatever takes my fancy. I avoid politics, mostly, and religion, always. I don't mean to upset anyone but if I do, well, sorry and I suggest you go elsewhere. These are my thoughts and no one else is to blame. If you want to nab anything I post, please acknowledge where it came from.
This entry was posted in miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Spring Has Sprung

1. Congratulations, als to a great garden! 😉 Have a nice day! Michael

Gorgeous! Enjoy!

3. Hello, Vicky. 🙂

I’ve always loved your garden photos. Each spring, my favorite thing to see is tiny shoots breaking through the warming earth. Like your daffodils (though those aren’t shoots anymore). But magnolias are stunning, especially against the blue sky. When they blossom, it’s glorious.

4. willedare says:

This blog post put a smile on my face. Love the daffodils, the green grass, the blue sky, the white clouds, and the hint of magnolia blossoms. Please tell/remind me more about the wonderful being who is Vicky. Has she been hibernating all winter somewhere?

Vicky is an 80 year old female tortoise who we’ve fostered since her last carers moved to California in 2000. She hibernated in straw in a rabbit hutch in that garage between late Ocotbrr and mid march. Every day, if the temperature is above 5C from 1st March we put her hutch outside until we hear her moving. Then we put her outside during the day until we’re fairly sure the frosts are past. At that point we have a fenced bed where she stays outside. We feed her daily – cucumber soft fruit like plums or peaches and some specialist tortoise food made from dandelions. If we are working in the lower garden we let her roam the lawn. She loved clover. But she will disappear if we don’t keep and eye out and test the fences. We’re known locally as the tortoise people so if she escapes out neighbours bring her back… I think we may donate her to a tortoise sanctuary given her age. But we shall see.

5. noelleg44 says:

What a fabulous place, your garden. Even with Vicky crawling around, or maybe because of her. Our Bradford pears are in full bloom, along with redbuds and tulip trees (of the magnolia family).
    One of my favorite memories of England in the spring is the park in Liverpool with the acres and acres of daffodils.

Morning Vicky💜

7. Such beautiful photos–made my morning!

8. L.K. Latham says:

Charge on, Vicky!

9. Happy spring Geoff and Vicky.

10. Your yard looks so Springy, Geoff, and beautiful. The blooming magnolia is wonderful. Ack, I’m jealous as we are still gray, rainy, and well, gray. But I did see one solitary daffodil this morning… so it’s trying. Beautiful post.

11. Elizabeth says:

I didn’t even realize that tortoises went into that kind of torpor. Maybe I was born into the wrong species.

12. lydiaschoch says:

Happy spring! It’s my favourite season.

13. Jennie says:

Welcome spring! It’s good to see Vicky up and moving around.

14. Hello, Spring! And hello, Vicky!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )