Careless? #poem

Nothing personal here, just something that came to me as I tried to dissuade the cold caller from continuing

She looks at me, just so,

Eyebrows moving up and down

Her shoulders just down.

The caller asks about solar panels:

Do I think they’re important?

She turns away and picks up a mag

While I acknowledge they are.

He wants my views on fuel bills.

She wants my answer.

I try to say goodbye – don’t I care?

What does he know?

I might be

Bathing a baby

Taking a cake from the oven

Undertaking open heart surgery

Pressing a button

And obliterating somewhere dusty

And undemocratic.

Doesn’t he care?

She looks at me, empty eyes,

And walks away,

Her eloquent silence saying

‘I couldn’t care less.’

careless?

My name is Geoff Le Pard. Once I was a lawyer; now I am a writer. I've published several books: a four book series following Harry Spittle as he grows from hapless student to hapless partner in a London law firm; four others in different genres; a book of poetry; four anthologies of short fiction; and a memoir of my mother. I have several more in the pipeline. I have been blogging regularly since 2014, on topic as diverse as: poetry based on famous poems; memories from my life; my garden; my dog; a whole variety of short fiction; my attempts at baking and food; travel and the consequent disasters; theatre, film and book reviews; and the occasional thought piece. Mostly it is whatever takes my fancy. I avoid politics, mostly, and religion, always. I don't mean to upset anyone but if I do, well, sorry and I suggest you go elsewhere. These are my thoughts and no one else is to blame. If you want to nab anything I post, please acknowledge where it came from.
This entry was posted in poems, poetry and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Careless? #poem

1. I can relate to this, GEoff. Sometimes I feel like I can no longer care.

2. But Dog cares! He does, he truly does!!

3. Those guys on the phone deserve a dial tine.

4. Elizabeth says:

Dog looks a little put out himself.

Everyone has to earn a living. If it keeps them off the streets …

6. Dog should deter anyone – he does look menacing. We only get ex-offenders and such trying to unload cleaning materials. One once got really aggressive and threatened to kick all our flowers down.

Yes we’ve had a few of those, a couple of jehovahs and one trying to persuade me to join the Lambeth against fascists and GM soya party (I might have that slightly wrong). Since the Monster Ravers stopped standing I was almost tempted

7. I’m with John above.
    Almost all I need to know from a cold caller is that they are one.
    Click! Buzzzzzzzzz!

It excellent Geoff, reminds me of a certain style I cannot place. It’s beautiful, a couple at odds with a third party unwittingly aggrevating the rift. …that’s what I see anyway.💜💜💜

9. Widdershins says:

Love the ‘Dog giving the cold-caller the stink-eye’ shot. 😀

10. Nice job for a quick cold call. Way too many of these every day (calls not poems). I don’t answer anymore. Though now I might as a way to motivate me to write poetry. 🙂

11. welcomeazt says:

Enjoyed reading it.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )