The February Garden – A Bit Of Winter #garden #dog

We have had some proper winter here, at last with a smattering of snow and some frost, to add to the usual deluges. The colour has been green and brown with the odd pink hellebore and yellow crocus and witch hazel. It’s a structural month where the trees show all their workings like a maths problem and the beds are laid bare for the early signs of what’s happening below the surface.

The boggy grass and beds has meant we’ve left well alone and some of the jobs will be delayed a little. But there time enough to prepare. Next week, if it’s not too wet, we will prune the apple and cherry and I can continue to relay the edges for the paths that have sunk over the last two years.

And then there’s always space for Dog….

This entry was posted in dogs, gardening and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to The February Garden – A Bit Of Winter #garden #dog

Pretty! And hopeful!

2. Sue Vincent says:

Nice to see the first spring flowers make an appearance ๐Ÿ™‚

I love those photos showing the contrast of the different seasons – a beautiful garden at any time.

4. Gardens of promise and life! And Dog there to protect and defend!

5. Crocuses are so exciting! (And of course Dog!)

6. V.M.Sang says:

We’ve no crocuses yet, but we have got snowdrops.
    Your garden is looking wonderful, even under all the snow. You have colour in your bushes as well as the flowers. Ans I love the pink hellebore.
    Dog looks smart in his coat.

7. How cheerful! I do like how a little snow seems to highlight things in the landscape. Here we have a base layer of ice (1/2 inch-ish) covered by a couple inches of snow and another layer of ice (not quite so thick) covered by about 3 inches of snow, with a third winter storm bearing down on us. Great fun! I’m actually grateful for the first, thick layer of ice, because it affords some protection for the magnolia buds from the single digit (F) temps. Our dog is *not* happy about having to wear a coat, even though she looks as handsome as Dog does in his. ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. noelleg44 says:

Love the pictures – and Dog looks happy no matter what the weather. He seems particularly interested in the croci!

9. Suzanne says:

Can’t beat those first signs of spring and the lovely helebores. Which flower down here more during winter.

10. Erika says:

Beautiful, I found the first crocuses in my garden too today. And my willow already has catkins which is too early actually.

11. Darlene says:

I love the snowdrops and crocuses. Dog looks great and as always, steals the show!

12. Dog looks a tad put out. Don’t those Burch logs rot? Love the spring flowers

13. Love Dog sniffing the crocuses.

14. JT Twissel says:

Most of the US is under snow and ice right now – it’s cold here – ice in the morning but no snow. My garden is full of the run of the mill daffodils. Nothing nearly as exotic as yours!

Oh! That lovely garden .. ….. And of course Ruby’s hero say no more! ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

16. Jennie says:

Beautiful, Geoff. I can never get enough of your garden.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )