Another Year, Same Garden: January 2021 #garden #january2021

It’s been cold, wet, frosty, snowy, sunny and all shades in between. What it hasn’t been is warm. Definitely no global warming and yet we are seeing plants that, by rights should be dead, dormant or craving some sort of spring heat.

I’ve taken a few snaps down the garden to compare the impact of different skies and enjoy the substructure of the trees when they are leafless.

Around and about there is some colour to be found, if you look hard enough

And there are shrubs and buds and things poking out…

And the parakeets, and magpies and squirrels thrive…

As does you know who…

Even if he’s indoors a fair bit…

My name is Geoff Le Pard. Once I was a lawyer; now I am a writer. I've published several books: a four book series following Harry Spittle as he grows from hapless student to hapless partner in a London law firm; four others in different genres; a book of poetry; four anthologies of short fiction; and a memoir of my mother. I have several more in the pipeline. I have been blogging regularly since 2014, on topic as diverse as: poetry based on famous poems; memories from my life; my garden; my dog; a whole variety of short fiction; my attempts at baking and food; travel and the consequent disasters; theatre, film and book reviews; and the occasional thought piece. Mostly it is whatever takes my fancy. I avoid politics, mostly, and religion, always. I don't mean to upset anyone but if I do, well, sorry and I suggest you go elsewhere. These are my thoughts and no one else is to blame. If you want to nab anything I post, please acknowledge where it came from.
This entry was posted in dogs, gardening and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Another Year, Same Garden: January 2021 #garden #january2021

1. Sue Vincent says:

Lots of signs of spring when you look closely ๐Ÿ™‚

2. davidprosser says:

Even in the depths of Winter your garden looks superb Geoff. I must admit though I don’t recall the two Easter Island heads in the lead picture., Any chance you can pick up a couple of your wild parakeets (young please), wrap them in brown paper, and send them here. They should be able to teach Joey a thing or two and I might be able to get some sensible conversation from them.
    Have a great week.
    Hugs

3. Gardens are filled with miracles! Dog is a miracle… just sayin

4. trifflepudling says:

Lovely. I would say the only thing which really shouldnโ€™t be there is the pink geranium, though.

5. I like the different views of the garden, Geof. You have a lot of spring showing. ๐Ÿ˜

6. You’re already seeing signs of spring, Geoff. I’m a bit envious. ๐Ÿ™‚ Your garden is beautiful.

7. noelleg44 says:

Spring is on the way, Geoff. Since we’ve moved, we have no garden, but we will remedy that this year. I miss seeing things poke up out of the ground!

Hope springs eternal! So does dog but quietly ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

9. V.M.Sang says:

Lovely. What a difference the light makes.
    We’ve daffodils thinking about coming out, but have winter camellias, cyclamen and a wonderfully scented daphne all in flower. And one of my osteospermums (or should it be osteosperma?) has buds!

10. Darlene says:

Your garden always looks so inviting. Dog looks great in his red coat. Dot has one similar.

11. L.K. Latham says:

Inspiration to get out and do something with my own, very pitiful, garden.

12. Fabulous garden Geoff……… that first picture looks like, erm, how can I say, a couple of moonies?
    We have plans for ours this year. Will be interesting to see what our little patch turns out like.

13. JT Twissel says:

Magnificent even in the winter!

14. arlingwoman says:

There is a great deal blooming and coming up, at least a few weeks early. I love the bird tracks.

Yep, the RSPB carry out an annual garden bird survey every year using volunteers to report what they see during om hour chosen at random during last weekend. We took part and saw a dozen different species which was pleasing but i wish there had been more

15. Love to see all the buds. And dog, of course. Such a beautiful view you have!

16. Jennie says:

I love your garden, Geoff. Anything green in February is a miracle.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )