Garden Works – Update

The works I foreshadowed the other day began in earnest on Friday.

First up we cleaned out 90% of the long bed that will became the new terracing for the wedding. The builders will start on it soon – they have to lay the pipework and cabling for the water capture as well and we are having the paving re-laid and re-grouted to make sure it is not a trip hazard – all those bloody heels again! They’ll be building two new gates that will make access to the back easier too.

So out came three roses to be replanted around the garden and two potentillas, all of which are in large pots for now.

After that we recovered an old butler’s sink with a mix of sand cement and compost that makes it a fabulous sink garden for succulents. This was originally done thirty years ago and had begun to fall off. Now it’s refreshed.

Having hacked off the old rendering, we covered the surface in PVA glue and sand to make a binding surface.

Then mixed one part cenent with one part sand and one part compost.

While the Textilsite made the gloopy pastry mix,

yours truly did the packing.

Came out okay, I’d say.

Dog helped, of course

This entry was posted in gardening, miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Garden Works – Update

1. noelleg44 says:

Lots of changes in the garden. I think that butler’s sink turned out smashing! Dog clearly had a major role in refurbishing it!

2. Things look like they are off to a great start.

3. What a lovely repurposed sink! Good thing Dog is such a diligent supervisor, or you would never get anything done. ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. arlingwoman says:

It’s going to be beautiful. I’m sure Dog had a great deal of input.

5. JT Twissel says:

Poor dog – too pooped to pop๐Ÿ˜†

I am reporting you to the RSPCA, Dog looks exhausted! You obviously have been overworking him. All this work for one day?

7. Chel Owens says:

So, does your garden have piping for all of it?

No piping at all. We will run a pipe from the drain that runs round the house carrying rain water from the roof and divert it to a tank from which it can be pumped to hosepipes to water everything . But we won’t install the tank this year as there’s this wedding next summer (assuming Rona Virus buggers off and let’s us have a mass gathering) and it will take a year or two to screen it. I’ll keep up dating how we do it.

8. Mary Smith says:

An impressive.start, Geoff. Dog’s clearly up to supervising the entire project ๐Ÿ™‚

Busy. Busy. Busy.
    Dog helps in the best possible way – out of the way, of course.

10. You are of course planning a Royal Wedding

11. Oh this was us last year – putting all of our plants into pots whilst the garden pathways were put in place. All the upheaval will be well worth it ๐Ÿ™‚

12. trifflepudling says:

VG. Donโ€™t forget to leave โ€˜untidyโ€™ area for wildlife, insects etc ๐Ÿž ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Darlene says:

I knew Dog would be a big help. Dot broke a nail today so that’s her out of commission. A great start, well done.

14. Geri Lawhon says:

Great work so far, I am sure the end result will be beautiful.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )