Street Art: The Covid Edition #streetart #shoreditch

As part of trying to get out more I decided to go visit the parts of East London where there’s always at lot of street art, just to see what lockdown, covid, BLM, crap politicians Trump, etcetera has stimulated.

There were some covid/NHS inspired images

Some political

And a few that aimed at BLM issues

But mostly it feels like the artists just wanted to paint and maybe get some generalised frustrations off their chests

This entry was posted in miscellany, street art and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Street Art: The Covid Edition #streetart #shoreditch

1. Some great some awful but all interesting. Thanks, Geoff.

2. floridaborne says:

I can certainly understand the one that said, “I can’t breathe.” Masks do that to a person.
    Some of the art was amazing.

The great thing for me is it allows all sorts of opinions that often get squashed by other sensitivities. Some jar – because of my no doubt feeble liberal prejudices – but I don’t want them muzzled by any sort of mainstream group think of whatever persuasion – I’ll remain pro Voltaire ‘I don’t like what you say but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it’, however much some view might grind my gears. And with street art the ultimate response is to paint over what you don’t like with your own view.

This time has certainly inspired this generation of street artists!

4. Vivienne says:

Your pictures are not showing on my iPad!

5. I do enjoy street art, though I hope this lot is all spread out, otherwise I’d find it overwhelming I think. How far did you go to gather this selection? There are some well thought out pieces tucked away in there worthy of saving.

It’s all inside about half a square mile but given the nature of London’s squashed streets and lanes and passages it doesn’t feel overwhelming.

6. Good heavens, I think I’d find that a bit of an assault on the senses! But thanks, interesting to see them.

7. Erika says:

Those people are real artists!

8. Mary Smith says:

There are some amazing paintings there. Are they all in the same area or spread around?

9. Wow what a lot of street art – I haven’t been in a city in a long time and we have none of that in our semi-rural town in the Northeast U.S. – thanks for sharing this wide variety – always something to look at and ponder 🙂

10. Pam Lazos says:

Not your typical graffiti, but really some great artwork. Who owns these buildings that they allow so many people to create street art on them? We have murals all over Philadelphia, but they’re sanctioned and usually paid for by the city who commissions the artist. Is that what’s going on in East London or is it some form of protest, Geoff?

It’s everything Pam. This area is so well known for its street art that mist owners just accept it as a price of property here. Some commission the artist, though few try and control the message – just not done – and those in retail see it as a draw to the area. Railways that cross cross this area are also a draw with their embankments and arches and bridges. And many have an edge, some of which jar but that’s the beauty. There’s little political correctness or being cancelled or safe spaces in street art. If you don’t like the message, paint over George Floyd image is a classic, reflecting uncomfortable views as well as the more mainstream. I remain a Voltaire man to my roots (I don’t like what you say but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it) so however jarring I’d prefer to allow the messaging than the muzzling. That’s the joy of east London for me.

11. lydiaschoch says:

I loved this post. Wow, these artists are talented and creative. Thank you for sharing their work.

12. Elizabeth says:

I appreciated your answer about the response of building owners to the artists. I don’t think they would last 15 minutes here before the police were called. I loved getting to see the variety available to you in such a small area.

13. That’s an amazing array of styles and messages.

14. Widdershins says:

What a visual treat. 🙂

Absolutely brilliant Geoff thanks 💜

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )