Plain Flour Bread #baking

I haven’t done this in a while.

Lockdown improved my baking. I wanted to bake some bread but couldn’t get strong white flour for all the tea in Tescos. Then this…

Plain Flour bread. And, you know what? It’s bloody good.

500 gms of plain flour, two of bicrab, half of salt, sieved. Add between 350-400 mls of plain yogurt and make a sticky dough. The range of yogurt doesn’t seem to affect it much.

Shape into a log and stick in a 900 gm loaf tin – I lined mine with grease proof paper.

Bake for 40-45 mins at 200C.

I had it with homemade lemon curd…

Dribble, drool. It freezes well. It doesn’t last very long but, it gives good toast….

This entry was posted in baking and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Plain Flour Bread #baking

Looks delicious!

2. V.M.Sang says:

Looks good! And the fact that it freezes makes up for it not lasting too long.

3. Darlene says:

Well done! No need for yeast, I like that.

4. M. L. Kappa says:

I see you’re also a victim of the covid-induced bread making mania! My poison is soda bread, but I’ll definitely give yours a try. Also the no knead recipe on Pinterest works well. Problem is, once you’ve made it, you eat it. And once you’ve eaten it, you acquire a spare tire. Sigh…

5. Yum! Strangely, white bread flour has been easy to find here for a few weeks, but not wholemeal which I haven’t seen since before lockdown. A couple of weeks ago I spied some granary in Tesco and got two bags, but that has vanished from the shelves again too.

6. YUM. You had me a lemon curd.

7. Yogurt bread! Now why didn’t I think of that? 😉 Anything that makes a good toast is worth having in the house, I say. Thanks for passing along the recipe.

8. Erika says:

You are inspiring me to bake my own bread finally. I have quite some recipes at hand but haven’t found the motivation to get it going yet.

9. Elizabeth says:

Interesting way to get the rise with soda and yogurt. I love how real the loaf looked compared to those perfect store white loaves.

10. trifflepudling says:

I use a Doves Farm wheat-free scones recipe which has yogurt in it – also very nice.
    The soda bread makes a good pizza base too! Happy Baking.
    Love the photo composition of finished product.

Think of all the dough you could make!

12. Widdershins says:

A bread can only be classified as ‘good’ if it ‘gives good toast’ … I do like your turn of phrase there. 🙂

13. CARAMEL says:

Lemon curd…on delicious bread – perfect!!!

14. Looks yummy, Geoff. I have a yogurt bread recipe but it used wholewheat flour.

15. Pingback: Rising To The Top | TanGental

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )