Dog At Leisure

This poem is based on the famous poem,

Leisure, by William Henry Davies

What is this life, if full of care?

Go fetch my lead, don’t comb your hair.

Don’t give in to untimely sloth,

I know what fun awaits us both.

Let’s try the park; we know it’s free,

Full of places for me to pee.

Squirrels anxious to play chase,

Friends who’ll let me lick their face.

Secret corners where I can poo,

Long lost balls for me to chew.

Picnic scraps and chicken bones,

Stale crusts and broken scones.

These treats and many, many more

Are just beyond the bloody door.

So find your shoes, tie those laces,

I’ll take you now to wondrous places

Full of fun, grass and the freshest air

And while I play, you’ll stand and stare.

This entry was posted in dogs, gardening, poems and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Dog At Leisure

1. Lesley says:

I love this! 😀

2. this is great. Sounds like you get herded to the door for walks too!

3. Fun poem, Geoff.

4. I enjoyed reading this! The descriptions are so good, I could imagine a dog being walked in my head 😊

Love this 💜

6. I like this! Who’s in charge, you or your pup?

7. Elizabeth says:

Well the second picture says exactly what Dog thinks about you. Quit writing and start walking.

8. josypheen says:

I love this so much!! ❤

It seems like lots of people have new puppies in lock down…they are all feeling like this. 🙂

9. noelleg44 says:

Aw, go on, play with him!
    Great poem!

10. JT Twissel says:

These pieces are always so much fun! Joyful in such a dark world. Thank you!

11. Angelilie says:

I really like your beautiful blog. A pleasure to come stroll on your pages. A great discovery and a very interesting blog. I will come back to visit you. Do not hesitate to visit my universe. See you soon.

12. adoptionismyfirstchoice says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. I started a DOG blog too. I believe that we can take many important lessons from dogs, such as unconditional love and loyalty. I am looking forward to meeting more dog/animal lovers. 🙂

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )