The Garden June 2020: The Year Of The Courgette #garden #june2020

It’s rained this month which has been good for the garden even if the month ended with the lawn looking stressed again. Ah me… my ideas to capture the rain off the roof are moving forward, though. The top lawn, more stressed than your average relegation threatened manager will be replaced this autumn by a dry garden. In digging out the grass and creating the new hard base we will lay a pipe from the down-pipes and capture up to 20,000 litres of rain water which we can use on the garden including my lawn without the guilt of a sprinkler using perfectly good potable water (the Textiliste who has camel blood, refuses point blank to countenance such a waste).

Meanwhile the long bed that looked like this in February

and this in March

now looks like this (pictures show how it has developed over the whole month)

It’s a true potager bed with veg – the courgettes of the title mingling with chard, onions, beetroot, mange tout, french beans, tomatoes and corn, next to calendulas, cornflowers and sunflowers. I’ve also harvested the gooseberries – 2.7 kg!

Around the rest of the garden, the abundance of tulips, poppies, daffs and geraniums are now being replaced by lilies, sweetpeas, dahlias and the aforementioned calendulas and cornflowers plus many other staples such as loosestrife and roses.

We also had a mini Glast-no-bury for the Vet who, with her girlfriends couldn’t go this year so I knocked up a rustic bar and the Textiliste a tee-pee and they decorated the garden, had a noisy, socially distanced (sort of) few hours imagining a pyramid stage and a headliner.

And of course, Dog was ever present…

This entry was posted in dogs, gardens, miscellany and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to The Garden June 2020: The Year Of The Courgette #garden #june2020

It’s looking glorious!

2. Darlene says:

Many folks would pay good money to visit a garden as fine as this one! Well done. Also, nice to see the handsome dog there too. xo

Ah, gardens and Dog. You inspired me to start my own potager. I see I didn’t plant enough peas! But I’m learning from study your yard and watching Monty Don. My courgettes are beautiful, my perennials are first-year and yet working on getting established and my lemon queen sunflowers are going to be bigger than I thought. And I have watermelon radishes coming on with the happiest nasturtiums on earth. They are smiling, I tell ya!

4. What a lovely garden!!! Obsessed with the flowers in the shoes. Congrats on a beautiful bountiful harvest of veggies.

5. Wow! The new potager bed is very impressive Geoff. You will be very healthy with all that lovely homegrown crop. I also love your poppies – beautiful.

6. A splendid garden tour with impressive produce. The irrigation project looks awesome. I wondered a couple of times whether you might be considering a “Where’s Dog?” series.

7. Mary Smith says:

At a lot of work goes into making your garden looking so lovely, Geoff. Our sweetpeas are still only about 18 inches high and quite a while away from flowering so you are well ahead. It’s amazing the difference.

8. Erika says:

It is stunning what you made of this “little” part of your garden and I am amazed how it all grew! Such a lot of work!
    We remodeled the whole garden, beginning last fall. More flower beds, plants which grew to big removed and put to a different spot, a herbal garden, and even a little brook with waterfall. As soon as I have some time (maybe I even make it his lifetime) I will post some photos. Looking forward! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. So inspiring!

9. V.M.Sang says:

Beautiful. Your potager looks good.

10. trifflepudling says:

C’est magnifique! Many days of labour and much skill.
    The veggie area is particularly wonderful to me.

11. Isn’t nature wonderful! With a lot of help from you two, of course, and I’m sure Dog did his bit. Simply stunning,

12. Widdershins says:

Are those be-geraniumed boots real? 🙂 … glorious, as is Dog, of course! 🙂

13. Jennie says:

Your hard work is paying off! Lovely.

14. Chel Owens says:

May I visit your house, and never leave?

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )