The Hand That Guides

For many years, the Textiliste and I have taken dance classes; we have a system that involves her ensuring I stay on the beat while I manage the steps. Like marriage, it’s all in the compromises…

Your consoling hand sits light on my sleeve,

A confident tap to release me on four;

We set sail, in step, gliding with ease

Past blind spots and missteps strewn on the floor.

I fumble to catch that elusive toe-tap

Which, if I could, would allow me my head.

You remind me, by way of a quick finger snap,

Of the dangers where taking that path might lead.

I continually try to do it my way,

To give in to weakness of mind and of soul

But you hold my love tight; I cannot stray

And we remain linked: two parts of one whole.

May it always be thus as we gib and we tack,

Both looking forward, your hand at my back.

This entry was posted in family, poetry, sonnets and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to The Hand That Guides

1. A very fine tribute. Jackie reminds me that in the 60s she dragged me along to Frank and Peggy Spencer – apparently I said the music was all wrong. The exercise was not repeated.

2. James says:

My other half and I took up dancing for a while (she did not like me leading). Currently having a toddler in our midst, and a lack of babysitters, has put it on hold for a while (notwithstanding pandemics of course) but in spite of our ineptitude it was brilliant fun.

That’s marriage described perfectly, I thought you were going to tell us about the dance 😂😬😁😁 💜

4. I enjoyed this and the photo as well, Geoff.

5. I used to love to watch my Mum and Dad dance. They had grace and style and would glide across the dance floor. Happy memories, and a lovely poem Geoff.

6. Mary Smith says:

Aaw. Lovely, Geoff. I love the photo, too.

This is just lovely, His Geoffleship!

8. I love this…the verse and the thoughts.

9. Wonderful Geoff.. sentiment and verse.. my parents continued to go to dinner dances well into their 70s, would stay the weekend and come back with knowing smiles.. the way it should be.. x

10. Darlene says:

What a wonderful poem. You summed up marriage, and dancing, so well. Can’t get hubby to go dancing, sigh. He has other good qualities though. xo

11. That is wonderful, Geoff–especially the last two lines. Fantastic, I bet your wife loved it!

12. Love the poem – great metaphor – and the picture too. You look as though you can’t quite believe your luck, as well you might! I spent ages admiring the Textiliste’s outfit before I noticed your tie co-ordinated with it so well.

13. JT Twissel says:

Your wife is a lucky lady! Dancing with my husband is like dancing with the vacuum cleaner. And god forbid he’d ever write a lovely poem to me!

14. Jennie says:

Nice, Geoff!

15. Love this. You’re a smoothie Mr Geoff, beautiful poem & a dancer! Lots of brownie points there!!

16. Elizabeth says:

Lovely poem which definitely describes a marriage that is working. As for the color coordination, good job.

17. Widdershins says:

The magic of dancing is that it doesn’t matter who leads so long as both parties consent. 🙂 … like a good many things in life. 🙂

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )