Garden June 2020

We are halfway through June, summer is just about here and there’s some rain about. Whey-hey!! But the lack of Jupiter Pluvius has been a drain and my lawn is rather beaten by it. I’m looking into drilling a well… I need to do something now our little part of South London has decided to holiday just outside Naples…

The vegetables, uniquely for this year, are exploding in the new potager bed. It’s pretty full with a line of 200 peas at the back with French beans in two rows in front. Tucked underneath are squash for later cropping.

Next in line are sunflowers and corn that will frame the three sweet pea towers. At one end onions vie with chard courgette and beetroot, while the front of the bed has tomatoes calendula and cornflowers to draw the eye as the summer develops.

It’s a lot of work but undeniably satisfying and perfect for a year when we won’t be going away and neither will the family who can enjoy the produce. I doubt we’ll do this again, but you never know. After all the purpose behind digging out this and the corner bed, moving the roses and peonies in the process was to prep it to turn it over to meadow grass and fruit trees to reduce the work and maintenance.

The corner bed mentioned above is currently a narcotic of poppies, quite the most intense bee experience currently. It might be short lived but it’s worth it for the joy just now.

Otherwise so much is pushing on. In colour terms, this part of June sometimes feels like a pause, but that ignores the roses and early lillies, as well as some other delights like foxgloves and yellow loosestrife…

Oh and Dog, too. Natch.

This entry was posted in dogs, gardening, miscellany and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Garden June 2020

Beautiful, beautiful …. Dog
    The garden looks good too 😜…💜💜💜😀

2. tidalscribe says:

Have you sent a film of your garden in to Gardener’s World yet? that’s my favourite part of the programme, having a nose at other people’s gardens!

Yes. I loved last weeks with that super enthusiastic woman on her allotment. And there are some real eccentrics like the guy in north London with a full grown banana tree by his kitchen…

3. As always, everything is lovely, but those poppies do indeed steal the show. Such colors! And they all look like they were made out of tissue paper — I wonder if poppies were the model for those tissue paper flowers my children brought home from day camp/Sunday School/elementary back in the day?

4. Darlene says:

Looking fabulous. Dog steals the show again!!

5. Splendid results – the lawn should recover

6. All beautiful, Geoff.

7. Erika says:

Your garden is the ultimate dream. I always think you have unlimited space. This spring we completely reorganized our garden. Now I have a little herbal garden too (many healing plants are already spread all over the place actually)… calendula as well but also chamomile and many others I needed to check how they are called in English… lol

8. trifflepudling says:

I would just pitch a tent in your garden and live in it, if I were you two. It looks stunning.
    200 peas!
    Derrick is right – grass will recover.

But I’m not sure, with the top lawn, that I want it to. I now want it gone and a dry garden, Beth Chatto style… as for camping, tomorrow I make a teepee…

9. JT Twissel says:

Gorgeous garden. Is drilling your own well allowed in London?

10. Elizabeth says:

I should not have admired your vegetable garden just before supper! I was ready to pluck the peas off the video vine. Fortunately although our property is filled with blueberries and tomatoes(he who gardens gets to apportion the lot) we pick up our first share of a local farm’s crops tomorrow.

11. arlingwoman says:

Your vegetable garden is lovely! Such a nice amount of space you’ve been able to devote to it. And your flowers are amazing. I’m sorry about the lawn. I don’t know anything about grass, but looking at it, I’m not sure it’s about water. Grass comes back after a drought; just hunkers down until water is available. This looks like you need an investigation and some research…Dog, of course, is refreshingly doggy and pleasing.

You’re right. The problem with the, erm, problem patch is it’s on barely any soil as it was laid on the foundations of the Victorian house that was here until it was pulled down in the 1920s probably because of neglected after WW1 and maybe, given the London clay problems hereabouts, subsidence. In normal years it just about holds its own with a high clover content but this year and 2018 it’s turned to dust v quickly. The head gardener and I are seriously considering a dry garden instead with another pergola to match the existing. If we do I will take the opportunity to introduce a water capture system. Based on average London rain falls over the last five years I could harvest about 30,000 litres of rain a year off the roof or if I had a well drilled I’m allowed to take up to 20,000 litres a day! That way we wouldn’t have to use potable water on the garden and keep the bills down, albeit with an upfront capital cost…. sorry, long answer…

• arlingwoman says:

Ah, yes, that’s areal problem with some multiple solutions. I’d try water capture first. Lots of people here have rain barrels and use them in August when it’s so hot everything needs daily watering or so hot AND dry…But it sounds like you’ve thought through the options. Have you thought of just trying to build up the soil there with lots of compost? A lot of work and an ugly lawn during that process, but, thought I’d mention as another option…Sorry about it, though, as it’s a really beautiful lawn (and I’m not partial to lawns as a rule, but yours is a thing of beauty).

The bigger lawn, that will stay but the little lawn may have to go… we shall see. Thanks for the ideas…

12. What a feast for the eyes and the tummy Geoff. Your garden is a triumph.

13. Widdershins says:

Glorious!!! 😀 … you never know, you might be wise to keep that veggie garden going for a few more seasons yet.

14. Oh, wow! Your “narcotic of poppies”–gorgeous, and I’m still laughing at that one!

15. Jennie says:

Your garden must be the envy of all the neighbors. Lovely!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )