Sonnets For My Love

Over the years of knowing the Textiliste and the 36 years married I’ve written a few poems to that love. Here are two sonnets, the first based on the Elizabeth Barrett Browning classic

How Do I Love You?

(Sonnets From The Portuguese XLIII, Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

How do I love you? Let me count the ways.

I love you when the mundane morning chorus

Of the prattling radio wakes us

And you mine the duvet like it’s the End of Days.

I love you when you leave me at the station

To walk home in the rain, dripping clothes and oaths.

I love you for understanding what no one else knows

In my silences and wordless impatience.

I love you for laughing at oft-told stories

Never querying my many variations.

I love you for ignoring my aberrations

And allowing me my unworthy glories.

And if grief comes to me, dripping slow

I will love you more than you will ever know.

The Hand That Guides

Your consoling hand sits light on my sleeve,

A confident tap to release me on four;

We set sail, in step, gliding with ease

Past blind spots and missteps strewn on the floor.

I fumble to catch that elusive toe-tap

Which, if I could, would allow me my head.

You remind me, by way of a quick finger snap,

Of the dangers where taking that path might lead.

I continually try to do it my way,

To give into weakness of flesh and of soul

But you hold my love tight; I cannot stray

And we remain linked; two parts of one whole.

May it always be thus as we gib and we tack;

Both looking forward, your hand at my back.

This entry was posted in poems, poetry, sonnets and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Sonnets For My Love

Filled with love and laughter. Just how a partnership should be πŸ₯°

2. These are lovely thoughts, so perfectly expressed!

3. Darlene says:

Like your father, you are able to voice your love and admiration through poetry. These are both wonderful. xo

4. Love and laughter indeed

5. You are such an incurable romantic, Geoff.

6. Awww! Squeezie feelings to go with morning coffee – thank you ❀

7. JT Twissel says:

Lovely Geoff! I love the jib and tack feel. Modern love!

8. arlingwoman says:

I love these. A tribute to the glories of true love: the glory of true love/is it will last your whole life through/never will go out of fashion/always will look good on you.

9. Pam Lazos says:

Wow, really lovely, Geoff. Your wife must live that you write her poetry!πŸ₯°

10. Elizabeth says:

You manage to be both romantic and witty, a rare combination. I love the way you capture the way we keep each other out of serious trouble in a marriage. It is certainly true in ours.

11. Widdershins says:

‘…Both looking forward, your hand at my back…’ … perfect. πŸ™‚

Seriously Geoff these are so beautiful. πŸ’œ Like your Dad , you grow and that’s perfect πŸ’œ.

13. Shivers up and down. GORGEOUS to-the-point heartfelt love poetry. Well done! ❀

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )