A Sonnet For Lockdown #poetry #poem

While I lay sleeping, my whole world turned

Freedom, once cherished has been handed back

By my friends, whose company I’ve spurned.

I step outdoors, ready to jib and tack;

I’m negatively charged, pushed apart

By novice joggers and nervy walkers

Who’ve made assessing two metres an srt

As they follow, in line like trainee stalkers.

At shops, I queue, like a suspect, masked,

Fearful of the next random cough and sneeze.

Why must I perform this burdensome task?

‘You’re the next one in; no dawdling, please.’

I’ll cope with lockdown, the stress and the strife

As, soon, I’ll return to the arms of my wife.

This entry was posted in miscellany, poems, poetry, sonnets and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to A Sonnet For Lockdown #poetry #poem

A mad world we live in…

2. Darlene says:

We will all become agoraphobics by the end of this.

3. V.M.Sang says:

I loved that. I’d never have thought of making lockdown into a sonnet.

4. I think you mean ‘art’ and not ‘srt…’ Enjoy your outings, and keep writing poetry!

5. Love this one. Very nice!

6. Elizabeth says:

Great challenge and you rose to it. I remember in 8th grade having to write a poem each week with a different set rhyme scheme. The sonnet was very difficult.

7. George says:

Great stuff, Geoff. Love the “trainee stalkers” and queuing “masked, like a suspect “. Really captures this strange new world.

8. Rowena says:

Great poem, Geoff and very much in keeping with the times. I’ve lamented our narrow footpaths and all of our dogs seem to think other dogs are more deadly than the virus and lunge and bark ferociously even if their target is on the other side of the road. It’s been very weird cringeing as you’re walking past and even worse, you run into a good friend. Yikes! I almost leaped out of my skin the first time, although I now remind myself that it’s okay as long as you maintain social distancing. Then, one friend automatically gave me a pat on the back. Golly. Where’s the Glen 20 when you need it?!!! All of this is very strange for an extrovert. Cant wait til normality returns but it’s a way off yet.
    Best wishes,
    Ro

Totally weird times. We can walk or meet outdoors with one non family member so i met a close friend and walked around our park. We kept getting closer and then jumping apart as we realised.

• Rowena says:

It is weird, isn’t it!! We’re now allowed to met in groups of up to 10 people while maintaining social distancing. Friends from Church organized a picnic yesterday and occasionally someone would go to hug or shake hands but they held back. That was good to hear, because I wasn’t sure how careful they’d be or how to meet up with good friends and kept the distance going.
        Have you checked out Sue’s Little Dog Blog with Ani? I’m sure you probably have. I checked it out for the first time yesterday and the story of the diet reminded me of Bilbo and his diet, which my to my surprise, I hadn’t written up on the blog. So, that took me down a fraught trip down memory lane where my loss felt just as raw as it did 3 years ago, and yet it eased faster. Wrote some more memories today about our saint with the fallen halo.

I’ve followed Sue since we met at the first bash what 5 years ago. Her poetry is exceptional and giving Ani a platform is a natural extension…
        I guess you’ll find you’re meeting friends soon so be wary!!

• Rowena says:

I’m very impressed by the poems she’s written by Ani. To get a series going with that continuous level of high quality throughout , is very impressive. I probably should tell her that.
        Are there any plans for a zoom Blogger’s Bash? I’d love it.
        Friends of mine have started getting together but we’re keeping our distance still at this stage. We’re also lucky with being a family and there’s four of us and three dogs to chat with and I’m getting a lot of my social connection through the blog, which is making a huge difference. This is not the time to be an early adapter.
        Hope you and he family are staying safe.
        Best wishes,
        Ro

Everyone had already decided to leave the Bash for this year so no, no plans.

Love that last line Geoff 💜

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )