And So It Ends… And Begins #garden #growth

Yesterday the Lad and I did a lot of tidying up as a change from digging…

That will continue as I clean the slope of weeds as best I can.

As we pulled leaves out of corners and cut back dead growth from the summer two things struck us.

One was that the lawn needed a trim… according to the Lad, he of the Lawn Skills. Yep, 30th December and it’s still growing.

The second was that there is so much new life poking through in anticipation of the spring. I hope the winter doesn’t take a turn for the totally totalitarian. Here are some pictures of optimism that the new decade won’t be dominated by wonks, wokery and Wokington Man

Of course, we have some hellibores and cyclamen and even, weirdly. some sweetpeas…

Hope also appears in the guise of buds on the replanted shrubs and roses that followed on from the recent excess of digging.

peonies

And today, as the misty murk clears there’s a chance of an alien invasions if this is anything to go by

which is an interesting precursor to the new decade.

May your twenties be roaring and roistering, no ratty and raddled. Chin chin everyone!

And remember this decade’s motto is

Everything will be alright in the end

and if it’s not yet alright, it’s not yet the end!

This entry was posted in gardens, home, miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to And So It Ends… And Begins #garden #growth

Absolutely love this, His Geoffleship!
    There is always hope, no matter what!
    Happy 2020 and happy Twenties to you too!!! 🥂📚💜🎉🍾

2. I love the signs of a new season. Happy New Year, Geoff.

3. Darlene says:

Happy New Year to you and yours. The garden is in good hands and will look fabulous again this coming spring. Love the motto.

Thanks Darlene. I’m feeling very chipper as we enter 2020 which I have to put down to exercise, an understanding spouse and an unshakeable belief that I was accidentally dropped in a pan of amphetamines as a baby. Happy new year

4. I like the motto! And your yard looks lovely, even in the works. Peony buds–I’m ready for flowers, but I’ll try to take 2020 as it comes. Happy 2020 (almost)!

5. Nature never ceases to amaze me. Hubby cut the lawns 2 days ago. They look better, but a long way ‘short’ of being a lawn compared to a field.
    Happy New year Geoff. May 2020 be a better year for all of us.

6. arlingwoman says:

Ah, Geoff–I do like to see your garden and new life in any garden. I need to get to my own to check on the lettuces and broccoli. Once, I picked peas in January in a mild winter, but I doubt I have any at the moment. Your garden is lovely, and it must be a pleasure to work in on a fine winter day. Happy new year.

It’s a joy. We’re undertaking a huge digging operation and the soil is a joy to dig after the recent rains. Though may hands look like they’ve been sand blasted… happy new year!

7. V.M.Sang says:

Signs of new things to come. Snowdrops in the park near me. Hope springs eternal etc.
    Happy New Year.

8. All those new buds!! Great photos. Happy new year to you and your family including of course, Dog 🎉🍾

9. All burgeoning nicely

10. Elizabeth says:

Is it usually that mild where you live? It is an amazing contrast to our frozen earth and no hope of new life until late March.

In 2019 we had the warmest ever winter day (21C in Feb) and summer day (38.5C in July). The hottest ever December day was recorded in the highlands of Scotland – bloody hell, Scotland on the same line of latitude, roughly as Labrador and South Alaska! – at 18.5 on 28th December just gone. So balmy doesn’t do justice to the bollxed up weather we’re having right now. At least we’re no poor bloody Australia… happy new year!

• Elizabeth says:

No wonder your garden in confused but growing. Imagine how different the Scots would be with warm weather through their history. Here it is a little more icy than snowy since the temperatures are a little warmer.

11. Mary Smith says:

Love the motto for the decade – worth remembering.

12. Happy New Year to you and yours Geoff. It seems like you are working your way towards a never ending summer. Which makes sense to me as we seem to be edging towards eternal winter. Though to be fair, we had summer yesterday and today dawned orange with a strong smell of smoke courtesy of the Australian infernos – but now we are back in winter.

How weird. They had the hottest ever Winter and summer days here last year since records began so maybe you’re right. Depressing to think it. Still I will not be depressed even with a ocoloidal termigant as a PM (no, me neither, I made that up) and all pervading sense that I’ve been swallowed by a capricious god who is currently trying to cough me out like a human furr-ball. I will thrive even if I have to cash my collection of Jane Austen themed antique mechanical spats to pay for my hippocampus to be refumigated. Happy new year!

13. Mick Canning says:

Oh, dear. I look at your garden, and then out at the dishevelled wasteland that is ours, and I wince with shame.

Happy New Year, Geoff.

Thank you Geoff, just what I needed 💜

15. LucciaGray says:

Happy New Year, Geoff!

16. Rowena says:

Happy New Year, Geoffle! Even in an English Winter, your garden puts our Aussie sandpit to shame. However, over here no one’s giving two hoots about how your garden’s going. If your place is still standing, you’re leaping for joy. So much of this place has been burned out. Geoff has an ap on his phone which shows where the fires are, and there have been days were much of NSW seems alight even though we haven’t had fires terribly close to use, despite the heavy bushland in National Parks nearby which has caught fire before. Like most natural disasters, it’s very hit and miss and pure luck probably combined with your Scout motto of being prepared. Last night, even the people who’d stayed home and defended their homes from the NYE fire had evacuated. That really makes a statement.
    At the same time, it’s very encouraging to see your plants shooting and life renewing. We need to believe in healing, recovery and a fresh start from whatever disaster strikes.
    These people in these bushfire areas are made of strong stoic stuff. Many will rebuild on the same spot. They have their friends and community. That’s what matters.
    Anyway, I’d better head out and get dinner sorted. The pen might be mightier than the sword, but it doesn’t stave off hunger, especially when a teenage boy is concerned.
    Best wishes,
    Ro

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )