Mugged Off

I was given this a while ago.

W

eโ€™re an increasingly green household – not that the children leave us much choice. Thus single use takeaway cups for my copious coffees are verboten. Sitting, enjoying myself with a cappuccino I realised we have several mugs that percolate with family history.

This was decorated by the Lawyer as part of his then passion for insects. This he acquired from his grandfather mostly and was practically based. He loved turning over leaves, in the same way he anticipated Santa hoping for a present in the form of a caterpillar. Not so much of the technical or biological background though but give him a caterpillar or pupae and there was one happy bunny.

Mind you the crate of whistling cockroaches he kept in his bedroom for several years were probably at the extreme end of our tolerance for this hobby.

This was a retirement gift. Back in the day you got a clock. My dad was given a specially commissioned oil painting of his beloved New Forest. Those cheapskates I worked with gave me a mug.

But then it was carefully through, happily treated me as able to take a joke and lacked pretension. If that was a metaphor for how they viewed my time at work, I’ll take it.

Naturally I have this one. Some smart arse in the family thinks my love of words is something to sneer at, to scoff at. Ha! I may be a tad sequipedalian but that’s a burden I happily bear. I used to read dictionaries as a kid. Get used to it.

Do you have a set of objects that trigger memories thus?

This entry was posted in family, humour, memories, miscellany and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Mugged Off

1. bikerchick57 says:

You read dictionaries as a kid? Wow, you truly are a wordsmith and I’m kind of jealous. ๐Ÿ™‚

I did. Not sure how it began but we had a large brown Chambers I’d leaf through. My brother read the Encyclopaedia Encyclopaedia Britannica but he always did show off. Thanks for popping by

2. My set would be photographs or books. Congratulations on keeping those mugs intact.

3. Great mug collection to bring back memories! I have sets of books, teapots, china, pitchers, roosters, linens, pictures, bookmarks, etc. that all have strong memories attached, as well.

4. Great collection of mugs, Geoff. I have nothing that compares.

5. Elizabeth says:

I read dictionaries as a kid also. I was very excited when my mother bought an abridged O.E.D. I was insufferable with words like “crinkle-crankle.” I also became fascinated with regional vocabulary differences complete with maps of the U.S. with the various words. Before the national news standard, in the 1950’s words really still varied. I wouldn’t want to drink from a mug with my 1981 face on it!

6. I do like the mug. Had to look up โ€˜sesquipedalianโ€™. Now thatโ€™s a winner.

Do really Geoff and at this time of year they come out to haunt me. They are Christmas decorations made by the boys when they were young …lol old tatty and loved…a tad like me.
    I loved this post Geoff very erudite ๐Ÿ’œ

8. Hello ๐Ÿ™‚ I used to read dictionaries too and those ReadersDigest ‘Word of the day’ things. At age twelve I graduated to Shakespeare and peppered my language with his odd words, though often mispronouncing because I had never heard them used, only read. Now I mostly stick with simple or four letter words for brevity and ease of communication…… I don’t have any collections though and all my old mugs are broken.

Hi ‘waves’. I think i liked words because I was such a slow reader and the stories are short in dictionaries. And i can’t imagine you being classed as simple!

These are brilliant mugs!
    My cupboard consists of a mish mash of Best Teacher ones and random gifted ones with slogans on, as well as a Little Miss Chatterbox one…
    But I do have posh matching ones for guests!

10. Darlene says:

Great mugs. I still have the mug my very first employer gave me on my first day of work. It is, let’s say, quite old. Just has one tiny chip. It may outlast me!

11. Suzanne says:

Love the first and especially the last one. The family are great at delivering the most lasting sarcasm ๐Ÿ™‚ We put baby photos of our nieces on a couple of mugs, both are now treasured [exggerated] family heirlooms and are still intact and regularly used by the family. That is two Christmas gifts that didn’t go to the Op Shop. Winning.

12. gordon759 says:

I wouldnโ€™t consider that you are, โ€˜an open drain of inordinate lengthโ€™, which is my interpretation of sequipedalian (sequi+pedalian). Had you said sesquipedalian, then no one would have doubted the fact.

13. Erika Kind says:

Mugs can truly keep special moments or times alive. I had so many mugs with special history… but almost all of them were broken by a clumsy husband… lol

14. lydiaschoch says:

You have some great mugs. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Widdershins says:

I too read dictionaries as a wee sproglet, and encyclopediae, back when both were tomes so heavy they required solid pedestals on which to read them. ๐Ÿ˜€ … it was the only way I could access the information that truly interested me. ๐Ÿ˜€
    None of my childhood treasures made it to adulthood with me, but I do have a crochet hook that is so well-used and beloved that I have worn off the enamel. It is at least 40 years old and still in use.

16. I knew it! Had you pegged for not only a dictionary reader, but also oddly drawn to obscure dictionaries at that. I do have a few mugs with photos of my kids, but I still prefer the real items. As to things that trigger memories, I just had a story come together that does just this for me even to today. I think you may get a kick out of the distress my father accidentally put me into and how it all resolved. Finally, I could counter your question with one of my own, what was the most nuts thing your dad had you believing while your age was still a single digit?

Here’s my story if you have 10 minutes for a grin.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )