October Garden #autumncolour

I read David Mitchell (actor, not author)’s autobiography over the summer. Called ‘Back Story’ it deals with his early years. In one section he explains with the somewhat eeyorish-misanthropic-steam-of-consciousness-for-which-he-is-well-known commentary that he has a problem with autumn and how his education turned out to be sadly lacking because no one really explained autumn to him.

For the life of me I cannot remember what he meant. I laughed but I was puzzled to say the least. Autumn has always meant a start, so far as I’m concerned. Odd maybe, in that is the traditional role of Spring. But I suspect it starts with it being the going back to school/university season and morphs these days into that time of year when I have to set to, to prepare the garden for next year.

Things have to be cut back, dug over. If somewhere is to be changed this is when the hard work ensues. Major lawn work takes place now.

Yes Spring is when we begin to see the results of that work but the start, the beginning if that renewal is just before and while everything seemingly shuts down.

Still, as the pictures show, there’s still a lot of colour.

This entry was posted in gardening, gardens, miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to October Garden #autumncolour

Gorgeous!
    Autumn heralds beginnings to me too, but mainly because it’s the start of the school year!

2. Beautiful garden. Love the flowers.

3. JT Twissel says:

Lovely – as usual I am green with envy! In NorCal our cyclamen don’t bloom until almost Christmas. My lovely red ones and white ones have mated and now all my cyclamen are pink!

4. Elizabeth says:

Are those horse chestnuts under the tree?

5. tidalscribe says:

It was so.misty this morning I went straight out in my dressing gown to take photos of spider webs – another autumn delight. Your garden certainly looks tidier than mine!

6. Mary Smith says:

I am not a fan of autumn – yes, I love the colours and the misty mornings, but it does seem to me a herald of the long winter ahead, plus all the cutting back, cutting down, clearing up which needs to be done now. Your garden looks wonderful.

7. arlingwoman says:

Goodness, you have giant heads (I forget what they’re called Moa something or other)and they have bushy eyebrows. Your garden is beautiful, and clearly you do work it well.

Adfab as always, harvest and renewal. 💜

Beautiful color! You have your mother’s touch.

10. These pictures are amazing, Geoff. I love flowers.

11. Such a splendid set of flower pictures from a magnificent garden; but I do hate the way WP crop the galleried pictures in the Gutenberg editor

Oh my, what a gorgeous garden.

13. Your garden still has lots of colour Geoff. Like you, I am preparing for spring. Lots still to be done…

14. Erika Kind says:

Same over here. The wet summer at least has its benefit in a blossoming autumn!

15. Pam Lazos says:

Breathtakingly beautiful, Geoff!

16. Jennie says:

Just gorgeous!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )