Getting The Right Signal #carrotranch

‘You look exhausted, Morgan.’

‘It’s mum and her death wish.’

‘Death wish?’

‘Well, wishes. This whole “when I go…” malarkey.’

‘It was the music last week…?’

‘Oh that was easy. She told me yesterday she doesn’t trust me to carry out her wishes.’

‘She still hasn’t decided on cremation or burial?’

‘That’s part of it. It’s after that.’

‘After?’

‘She doesn’t want to be lonely.’

‘Sorry?’

‘If she’s cremated how can she guarantee I’ll spread her ashes near her friends so she can keep up with the news.’

‘And burial?’

‘She’ll take a radio but will she get a signal?’

This was written in response to this week’s carrot ranch prompt

April 25, 2019, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story that includes exhaustion. Who is exhausted and why? Can you make art of exhaustion? Go where the prompt leads!

This entry was posted in carrot ranch, creative writing, flash fiction, miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Getting The Right Signal #carrotranch

1. floridaborne says:

Funny! And a bit prophetic. I was just talking with my son about “when I go…”
    But instead of worrying about what is going to happen to my body, I’m concerned about books yet unpublished.
    My son has promised that if I die before they’re published, he’ll make sure they’re published for me.
    He’s a professor, author of several poetry books and text books…but can he handle fiction? 🙂

Oh, that when I go thing…
    My mum’s phrase is “I’m not being morbid but…” Then it’s followed by a conversation about things she wants to leave to us!

3. Now that explains one of them……

I am surprised she is not taking a mobile with her!

5. LucciaGray says:

Funny, but sad…. I feel for him, it’s exhausting listening to elderly people when they start getting ‘confused’😬

Mum and her death wish! This reminds me of a great aunt who spent most of her life talking about when she died.

Funny, Geoff. I don’t know how they’ll work this one out. I’m terrified of waking up in a coffin with the lid shut tight! 🙂

8. Elizabeth says:

I love people picking out a site for “the view.”

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )