Fire And Earth #carrotranch #creativewriting #loganandmorgan

‘Why the long face, Morgan?’

‘It’s Mum.’

‘Really? Is she ill?’

‘She’s planning her funeral.’

‘Some people do. Was she miserable?’

‘Not at all. Quite energised.’

‘That’s good.’

‘Is it?’

‘What did she say?’

‘She wants to choose her music. Three songs. Two were easy, cabaret stuff, but the third caused the difficulty.’

‘How?’

‘She couldn’t decide if she wanted to be cremated or buried. If cremated she wanted Arthur Brown’s Fire…’

‘And buried?’

‘Going Underground by the Jam.’

‘What’s bad about that?’

‘I can’t have a mother who’s a punk fan. That’s just wrong on so many levels.’

This piece stems from the latest prompt from The Carrot Ranch, here:

April 4, 2019, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story about fire. It can be a flame that burns or a light that inspires. Follow the flames and go where the prompt leads!

This entry was posted in carrot ranch, creative writing, flash fiction, logan and morgan, miscellany and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Fire And Earth #carrotranch #creativewriting #loganandmorgan

Oh no! Definitely not cool to have a punk loving mother!

2. Violet Lentz says:

I can’t see a thing wrong with being a punk loving mother. Sounds musical in itself to me….

I love Morgan’s Mum 💜💜

4. Haha, Geoff, this is awesome.

5. Charli’s prompt says fire ‘can be a flame that burns or a light that inspires.’ and you of course end up in punk music. Of course you do 🙂

6. Ooh, now, I had Leonard Cohen’s Closing Time down for my final curtain. But Fire you say – hadn’t thought of that one …

7. JT Twissel says:

I think you are narrowing your focus into what you need to write to free your soul. From what I do not know. But I salute you. Carry on.

8. Rowena says:

Great subject here, Geoffle. Choosing three songs isn’t as easy as it sounds and what with all my health problems over the years, I’ve been meaning to have things organized. I can’t see my family organizing much. My Dad’s very good with all the funeral type details but his speech would be in bullet points and no slide show. Fortunately, my aunt has worked as a funeral director and said she’d sort it out. Not sure if that’s great either but at least it will happen.
    Couldn’t listen to Fire so out of these two, I’ll have to go with Going Underground.
    What about David Bowie Space Odyssey? Not sure how I feel about being stuck in my tin can for eternity though.
    I’m doing the A-Z Challenge again this year and doing motivational quotes to encourage writers working on a big book writing project. I’m actually head down bum up finally writing the much anticipated book. I’m putting together a collection of biographical short fiction from my family history research. It’s going really well and makes a good first book, to launch the stuff i’ve got sitting in the bottom drawer.
    Best wishes,
    Ro

Thanks Ro. I’ve read a few of your quotes. Help made me smile! Good luck with the book!

• Rowena says:

Thanks, very much and I’m glad I made you smile. I had a wonderful night tonight. It’s open week at dancing and Miss and I were watching her friend’s more senior jazz and tap classes. This bunch are around 15-18. They were really stretched and really doing very difficult, very fast paces and it was exhilerating to watch, especially as I’ve known some of them since pre-school as they’re J’s age. We were all clapping and cheering and one of the girls grabbed a bag full of tinsel pom poms like you’d use for cheerleading and handed them round the audience. One of the dads took two and put one behind each year. We had a fantastic night.
        Best wishes,
        Ro

Sound’s like Mom is going to light a fire of controversy! I like the idea of setting the tunes for one’s final farewell. And it’s whacky to play both songs at once!

10. Pingback: On Fire « Carrot Ranch Literary Community

11. calmkate says:

lol absolutely love this and wish that everyone would pre-plan their funeral … punk for Mum!

12. **2 hours later**
    ‘She get rid of the punk songs?’
    ‘Yeah, but now it’s Disco Inferno, so I should have said nothing.’

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )