Lost In Translation #carrotranch #prompt #flasfiction

‘You look smart, Morgan. In court?’

‘Ha. I’m meeting a rather special person. Very influential. I hope he can help me.’

‘How?’

‘He understands how the system works, you know, all those back passages.’

‘Corridors of power?’

‘Exactly.’

‘A sort of eminence grise.’

‘You what? Immense Grease? That sounds like what you get before an outbreak of spots.’

‘Eminence Grise. Someone who works in the shadows.’

‘He had the lights on when I saw him.’

‘It’s just a figure of speech.’

‘Like Imminent Cheese?’

‘Eminence Grise.’

‘Is it French?’

‘Yes.’

‘Thought so. They’re greasy and like cheese.’

‘God, Morgan…’

This week’s Carrot Ranch prompt, here, is:

March 26, 2019, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story that uses the word eminence. It’s a rich word full of different meanings. Explore how it sounds or how you might play with it. Go where the prompt leads!

This entry was posted in carrot ranch, creative writing, flash fiction, prompt and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Lost In Translation #carrotranch #prompt #flasfiction

1. Hahaha! XD
    Nice one!!

2. Elizabeth says:

Reminds me of all the times I have misheard song lyrics. Good word play.

3. Ha! Fantastic. Ah, cheese–now I’m hungry for lunch and it’s not even 9:30!

there’s rarely a period inside 24 hours when cheese isn’t inevitable but I d struggle with the continental European love for it at breakfast… somehow it isn’t quite the done thing

Ha ha!!!

It us a strange word, eminence… And added to grise… Well obviously confusion!

5. Jennie says:

Well done, Geoff.

An intriguing position, a gray eminence. I wonder who that is in the US? ‘Cause Trump is stupider than a lump of cheese. But I digress. I like cheese. And your characters!

7. Violet Lentz says:

Misinterpretations can be hilarious.. I love the word grise though, new to me. Have to find a place to use it..

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )