Loving The Fifty Something’s

The truly delightful – I’ve met her, so I know – Sam Smith at Loving The Fifty Something asked me to join in her series on Amazing Over 50s. Obviously she had a gap in her schedule and D Trump was having his crown returfed and Theresa May had become Theresa Couldn’t If She Lived For A Millennia so I happily agreed to fill in.

Here’s the link to the post and this is an extract to tempt you across….

Me at fifty, with the Vet

I’m conscious that at actual 62, I no longer win at bodily keepy-uppy. Gravity is winning an inexorable battle. Things that once slipped smoothly into place now click like the big end on my father’s beloved Ford Escort. It’s not that I don’t bounce back as once I did – I no longer bounce. I took a conscious decision to lose weight a year or so ago; one close friend watched me shed the pounds and said nothing until I mentioned my antipathy to buying new clothes to fit this newly svelte frame, whereupon he said, ‘Oh thank heavens; I thought you must have cancer.’ A function of aging and expectations again.

It can be boring, focusing on the body’s essential misanthropy. My wife has introduced the ten minute organ recital for any get together with her girlfriends: ten minutes at the start to discuss any problems with their organs or whatever and then no more. Very wise is my wife.

So how have I embraced my middle youth? With vigour, enthusiasm and ridiculous optimism.

This entry was posted in guest post, humour, life, miscellany and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Loving The Fifty Something’s

1. As we should embrace any age. 🙂

2. trifflepudling says:

Re. your Theresa May comment, somebody told me he’d read an article today in which it was said that Theresa May had fallen on her sword and missed 😀 !

Wonderful reminder that age ain’t nothing but a number!

4. Just like you approach everything else, Geoff.

5. “I no longer win at bodily keepy-uppy. Gravity is winning an inexorable battle.” Join the losing battle, Geoff! Haha! I’ve also questioned illness when I’ve seen someone my age lose a lot of weight. It’s always a bit awkward to ask, “Did you plan to lose all that weight or are you on chemotherapy?”

Geoff you are still a mere babe in arms 💜💜

7. Rhonda says:

” I no longer bounce”. Great line! Enjoyed this post. I can relate!

8. Widdershins says:

‘Organ recital’ … love it. 😀

9. Jennie says:

Bodily keepy uppy is my new favorite phrase. Really. Now, say that three times really fast after a glass of wine. 😀

10. Elizabeth says:

I loved the article and the chance to see great pictures of your family. As for gravity and me, my daughter says if I stand on my head everything returns to its proper place.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )