The Glory Of The Garden: Wither Goes It? #poem #rudyardkipling

From time to time I like to ruin one of the Nation’s favourite poems, as voted some years ago in a BBC poll. This time I have been musing on the hottest ever February, in doing so, have taken an axe to Rudyard Kipling’s fabulous The Glory of the Garden (here, if you don’t know it).

*the images are from my garden over the last few, rather extraordinary days…

Our England is a garden that is full of stately views,

Though you’d really have to wonder if you listened to the news.

The anchors turn you icy with all their talk of wars

While sneery politicians debate like old pub bores.

But while they focus their trite ire on running down the clock

The world that matters to us all is preparing its own shock.

It’s fed up with the disregard with which we’ve treated it

And soon enough will prove to us we’ve not defeated it.

With little thought for others we have wasted nature’s gift

And made a virtue out of spending when sense demanded thrift

Consumption of resources has become our default state

And while we try and change our habits it may be far too late.

The icecaps are receding as the desert centre grows

And winter months seem like June with little chance of snow.

And all the time that the chatterati’s attention is elsewhere

Our hopes of changing course are as doomed as the polar bear.

So enjoy those simple pleasures in England’s pleasant garden

Before nature’s patience ends and her heart begins to harden.

For it’s not beyond imagining that soon will come the day

When the Glory of England’s Garden shall finally pass away.

This entry was posted in miscellany, poems, poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to The Glory Of The Garden: Wither Goes It? #poem #rudyardkipling

In all seriousness Geoff a truth hidden in jest which is very close to my heart.
    Great job 💜

2. Glorious blooms and chilling verse

3. I think you just nailed our common situation. The pansy photo in particular is quite stunning – beauty disguises the harsh truth.

4. Lovely photos! And I don’t think you ruined this one at all, but rather made good use of the source material. I imagine even Kipling might approve, as he wasn’t above making pointed observations of his own in verse from time to time.

5. Loved that, Geoff. I hold onto the resilience of some plants to adapt to adverse conditions.

Wonderful take which hits the nail in the head 🤔

7. JT Twissel says:

Kipling would give you a solid hurrah! And the flowers are so beautiful.

8. Elizabeth says:

We are so easily distracted by the little temper tantrums of our leaders and meanwhile vast changes are taking place around us. Your verse is true.

9. Suzanne says:

That first blossom! Fabulous flower photographs, and I would say some of your best ones so far! I won’t contribute to the chatter on politics. The extreme weather is more of an “issue” for many of us island dwellers and the world as a whole.

Yes, I think that’s true for so many. Wonder where the sea levels will be in a decade? The blossom is looking good so far… fingers remain crossed 🤞

• Suzanne says:

Will be great for those who wished for sea views and didn’t bank on having them 🙂 There will always be someone who receives a positive bonus and those a negative regarding our extreme weather. More of a serious situation for those in the Pacific Islands, where many will have to totally change their way of life and move off their island. Fingers crossed for more blooms and less extreme weather.

Yep, v true. Having your whole island inundated is beyond appalling to contemplate

10. Mick Canning says:

A good bit of doggerel to make a very serious point, Geoff.

11. trifflepudling says:

Agreed – lovely photos and good point well made.
    The roots of the problem are quite tangled, though, as the consumer boom and technical advances, plus population booms, after WWII seemed like the proverbial ‘good times’ (remember the white heat of technology and all that?) and seemed to be only desirable. You can’t blame people for wanting to be part of it – globally as well. It’s difficult to stop the bandwagon once it starts rolling. History shows that people mostly miss the tipping point when things could have turned out differently. We’ll survive and adapt, I’m sure, and hope that things don’t go too badly wrong before people ‘in charge’ take it seriously.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )