Walking While Pondering #dunwich #suffolk

When it comes to weather, we can become a trifle obsessed. Today, fr’instance, the weather person told me we achieved the highest ever February temperature in the UK – 20.6 C somewhere in Wales. Most people of my close acquaintance believe this is a result of climate change (which happens anyway) exaggerated by human impact. Me too, as it happens. Where this will end is another debate but such informed voices as I’m inclined to believe don’t think it will end well. Then again other voices say we are already doomed and others that these things are correctable if we take action which will be dramatic and societally significant.

And as a listener and sifter of all I hear, I tr and do my little bit to make a difference though I doubt my efforts add up to a hill of beans (and if it does amount to a bean hillock, I suppose I’ll have to eat them and that will increase the methane content of the atmosphere and on it goes).

And all of this I thought about as  went for a stroll with the Textiliste and Dog around the ancient town of Dunwich in Suffolk.

Or what is left of it since most of it has fallen into the sea as a result of coastal erosion which of course will be increased with rising sea levels which will follow from the melting of the polar ice caps which results from climate change…

There was a bit of a theme, you see.

And it could be more than a little depressing, all of these thoughts crowding in on us.

But our walk, along the cliffs – or what remains of them…. yada yada, takes us through ruined monastery dissolved by Henry VIII and recently strengthened.

Greyfriars would have been very impressive back in the day and we took the opportunity to wander around, eventually finding ourselves in an  ancient wood.

And here, among ancient trees, we came across the most intense carpets of snowdrops I have seen in many a long day.

The snowdrops in our garden this year are fabulous – large and long lasting. The best ever, me thinks. And this wild explosion of white was stunning.

We mused that there has to be a link between the unseasonable warmth and this fecundity. It’s a seductive thought.

And then we rejoined the path, which took us back towards the road as part of the cliff was deemed unstable and the footpath needs to be reconstituted further inland.

Climate change feels real, even in the anecdotal way most of us absorb experiences. It is easy to see the consequences in the news bulletins. It is also easy to feel, sometimes, with calmer warmer winters and displays of wild flowers that would have had Mum purring, that, actually it’s not all that bad.

Me? I think nature’s merely sugaring the pill and I’m not about to stop my puny efforts to help. But that’s not going to stop me enjoying the sugar coating while I can. Dog too, I’ll be bound…

This entry was posted in suffolk, thought piece, walking and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Walking While Pondering #dunwich #suffolk

1. Mary Smith says:

Dog has an extremely knowing expression. I suspect he knows what you’re thinking even before you are thinking it.

2. Wow–great shots, especially that last one!

3. Superb light for excellent photography, though

4. I don’t need to tell you how bad our winter is this year. Like you I try to do my part, as little as it seems, I hope it helps in some way. Wonderful pictures!

5. trifflepudling says:

Lovely photos, it certainly has been photograph weather. It’s only been 16 here but I have just come in from lying on the grass! It is lovely but in the meantime I will carry on switching off all the blazing lights people leave on here constantly even when twenty millions worth of natural nuclear power station is beaming through the 3 storey, floor to roof glass!!

Beautiful, post, beautiful photos, wise words gorgeous dog shame we are all DOOMED! ❤

Loving the pics!

8. Thanks for the enjoyable stroll through the woods 🙂

9. Erika Kind says:

Wow, and I thought we are already having unusually warm temps. But we might reach 20 °C at the weekend. Even the storks have come back already! Beautiful pics, Geoff. And dog is simply gorgeous!

10. It is distressing to see the coastline erode away. I know how you feel. Dog is beautiful.

11. Lady Dickson says:

Awsome photos, awesome dog.

I can’t believe how warm it is here, and here in Liverpool, it’s been nothing but blue skies. Haven’t seen a single cloud in a while. As much as I hate that global warming is affecting the hell out of us, I also can’t help but hit up the patios for a beer.

12. Nope – I’m with the deniers. Climate does change – it’s kinda what it does and will keep doing as long as the sun remains stable and we don’t even have a respectable circular orbit. The best factoid for my position is look at the number of politicians who both “believe” it and want to use it to somehow control us. Here in the US they’ve managed to talk, without laughing, at somehow controlling cow farts. I’m sorry and think I have a pretty good sense of humor, but this business is all such bunk – however, I like clean air, water and land, so we should keep at the idea of pillorying those who soil them. That’s it. You can carry on now.

Thank you Gary we will keep marching together on the side of keeping things clean at least! I’d love to think you’re right on the other… but I don’t. Too many non politicians believe it – I certainly wouldn’t believe it if it was only those charlatans – for me to ignore it. But hey, we’ll all go together when we go, as Tom Lehrer wisely said.

13. It’s lovely, beans and all.

14. restlessjo says:

Agree with you, Geoff, and it is all pretty depressing so I was glad of a few snowdrops to cheer me up. Many thanks to you and Dog. 🙂 🙂

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )