Niceland: #iceland Part 3

Iceland had lived up to its own stereotype: the geology is otherworldly, converting your bill into sterling is like rubbing soap in your eyes, and the weather swings from chilly to downright parky and back again.

The capital, Reykjavík, is a rather resplendent little town. I don’t mean to disparage the place but it’s far from extensive. It is low(ish) rise – maybe for obvious seismic reasons – quaint, modern, curious.

There’s nowhere that feels unsafe; the people are friendly in a slightly dour way and they speak ridiculously perfect English. The local street food ranges from their own version of the hotdog (yuck) to a fish stew with mash and a creamy-cheese sauce (delicious).

They do coffee with quality and panache and they have bakeries that give off a come-hither scent that is like wandering into a cloud of culinary pheromones.

It is not at all self aware, it doesn’t try too hard, it’s a little cheeky, stays the right side of antiseptic – there is some litter, some of the building sites are a mess – the pavements have a habit of disappearing, but the drivers are polite and give way to pedestrians

the place is well covered with cycle lanes though there are few bikes about (given the weather that’s hardly a surprise), and there’s a fair bit of street art and sculpture, museums and galleries to satisfy a cultured palate.

No cricket, mind, so not perfect….

I will fly home happy, happy to have experienced a unique country, happy to have learnt a little of a different culture, though as with all holidays, happy to be home.

I’m coming pooch, hold that lead….

This entry was posted in holidays, Iceland, miscellany, street art and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Niceland: #iceland Part 3

Well it looks like Dickhead tours had absolutely nothing to do with this happy Jaunt! 💜💜💜

2. Wow! More great pics. Did you happen to see the Longreads piece today about the 7-foot Icelandic 20-year-old who’s trying to play for the NBA–is playing in Valencia, Spain, now. He’d be only the second ever Icelandic guy to play for the NBA. Anyway, glad you’re enjoying your trip!

3. That art is fantastic! Are you glad you went?

4. Cherilyn says:

Some amazing artwork….

No cricket? Preposterous!
    Well, at least I can inform you that Finland has a proper competing national team now 😉
    But the photos, as I said before, wonderful!

6. Delightful visit. Here in California, when our first born arrived, some 26 years ago now, we decided to try a foreign Au Pair. The agency first paired us up with a gal from Denmark, but she arrived with an illegal migration agenda and, after 6 months of filling her large closet floor with empty vodka bottles, she bolted on us (lucky us – eh). The agency swooped in, discovered the bottles, panicked about the obvious opportunity a mega-law suit over weak vetting and quickly replaced the stray Dane with a wonderful gal from Iceland. This gal left only grace and joy in her wake. I’ve wanted to visit Iceland ever since – this quick tour was a great reminder

7. Oh – and we have crickets in California. They’re no big deal and life could be fine without them….

8. Darlene says:

Wow!! Great pictures. Sounds like a wonderful holiday. The pouch will be happy to have you back.

9. Some fantastic wall art there Geoff. Looks like you had a great time.

10. Thank you for the tour. I’m amazed at the street art.

11. Wow, Geoff… Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. Those images are gorgeous and evocative. I loved all the multi-colored houses too. TGIF hugs!

12. Mary Smith says:

I’ve really enjoyed your posts on Iceland – fantastic pics. I will get there one day, for sure.
    I’ve just finished reading Sally Magnusson’s historical novel The Sealwoman’s Gift which is based on a true event when Barbary pirates raided Iceland in 1627 and abducted 400 of its people who were sold into slavery. I thought it was excellent.

13. janmalique says:

Art, wilderness, bakeries and coffee. What more could you want? Lovely hearing about your adventures.

14. Great photographs, Geoff. It is not beautiful and historic like the UK but it is interesting and unique.

15. JT Twissel says:

They don’t actually call their hot dogs “yuck” do they? Fascinating assortment of murals. The city looks like a model train layout!

16. I love the second shot showing the houses – they are colourful and look solid and warm and I’m curious to see inside one. The street art is so varied and there seems to be a lot of it, including some pretty amazing pieces. It does seem to be a very different way of life there and that is always a good experience to have yes? Made easier by the lack of a language barrier too, that is most thoughtful of the Icelandic peoples!

17. josypheen says:

I love all your street art photos Geoff.

I agree with the other commenters. Who needs cricket when you have volcanoes, bakeries, art and coffee!? 😉

18. Erika Kind says:

Your posts only confirmed my intention to visit this place and how I already felt about it. I am happy for you that you were there and I hope I can be there too one day soon. Thank you for sharing your Niceland vacation with us, Geoff!

19. Widdershins says:

What was that fabulous reindeer antler/viking longboat skeleton sculpture all about?:D … loved the coloured houses and street art … just all-round stunning. 😀

20. Terrific insights Geoff. I love the street art. It looks amazing. 🌼

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )