Ozymandias, Or The Deceit Of Modern Media #PercyByssheShelley #poem #poetry

Shelley wrote this poem over 200 years ago. He never foresaw the power of social media but of course, had he done so, he’d have embraced it. So, I thought, I’d maybe help him to consider what he might do if it got a bit much for the old boy…

And while you read it, here are some pictures from the garden – September is allowing us a lot of late season colour

I met a traveller from an antique land

A dodgy geezer from my wild youth

Who used the pseudonym of Ozy

I hesitated for a while: ‘Was he

The real deal? Ozy man,’ at last

I said, ‘dias a favour, forget the past,

And for old times tell me the truth

Or at least as much as I can stand.

The question is should I believe

All the crap that I have read

On snapchat and my twitter feed

About the fact that I am dead

To all of those who mean the most –

The flimflams and the muffin men –

The ones who write with poisoned pen

Those killing evil hateful posts.

Of course I said, I trust their views

There’s no such thing as fake news.

Oh is that so, the traveller said

You think you can weave a web

That will deceive your online foes?

And how will you achieve that goal?

Of protecting your immortal soul

Without the need to come to blows?

Who needs Facebook, text or tweets

If I’m going to, them, defeat?

I’ll do it, old school, go one better

I’ll dump the phone and write a letter.

This entry was posted in miscellany, poems, poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Ozymandias, Or The Deceit Of Modern Media #PercyByssheShelley #poem #poetry

1. Darlene says:

Excellent! Love the dog sniffing the roses. xo

2. Jennie says:

So pretty. I love this!

3. Erika Kind says:

Great poem and such beautiful photos.

4. Arlingwoman says:

I had to go through twice, once reading to see what you did with the poem, and the second time for the pictures, which are filled with lovely light.

5. Oh clever you! Delight at how you wove the name into the meeting. You know that’s what some of us old farts are doing don’t you – dumping facebook et al for good old fashioned snail mail letter writing. Your garden is lovely and so of course is Mylo!

6. Geoff, I found it difficult to follow the thought of the poem with the numerous photo breaks.

Beautiful garden, by the way.

7. Mick Canning says:

Letter? I think I’ve heard of that…

8. Marvellous photos of a lovely garden

No discourtesy to Shelley and Dog, but Le Pard and Garden held rapt attention.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )