Caught In A Spin #flashfiction #microcosms

The gendarmerie were first on the scene. Soft insistent voices, urging her to hang on.

Hang on? To what? They wouldn’t say.

‘What’s your name. Mademoiselle? Can you hear me.’

‘Marie. Marie De la Frontielle.’ It was as much as her body allowed. She felt so tired.

‘We’ll have you out soon.’

Out? Doctor Martine’s face floated into her vision. His words measured, serious. Trapping her with the diagnosis. No ‘out’, not for her. Not now. Her body was her prison now.

‘It’s like an ice rink out here. Why was she going so fast?’

She always went fast, the ice always her friend: spins, Lutzes, toe-loops, Salchows, nothing stopped her. The applause. Rippling over her, holding her up, making her fly.

‘How long will the Peripherique be shut, do you think? She’s stopped everything for miles.’

‘Who’s the driver?’

‘That figure skater? In the Winter Olympics?’

‘Her? The one…?’

‘Yeah. Fell twice. Never happened before. Her chance of the title. Tragic.’

Tragic? Falling on ice isn’t a tragedy. Even twice. Even losing a final. It’s not being able to stand up afterwards, that’s going to be her tragedy.

‘Do you think she meant it?’

‘Falling?’

‘No, this. Looks like she crashed deliberately.’

‘Why’d she do that? No, the conditions are awful and she’s only young. A star. Whole life ahead of her. Why’d she want to do this?’

Once that was true. Before Doctors and tests and MS. That’s when she had a life.

‘You think she’ll survive?’

Please, no, not that. I wanted to live; surviving isn’t enough.

‘It’d be a tragedy if she does. Look at her legs.’

This entry was posted in creative writing, flash fiction, microfiction and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Caught In A Spin #flashfiction #microcosms

This is really quite sad…

2. A very sad story in so many ways, Geoff, poor Marie.

3. Bobby Blade says:

Great read, with amazing visuals! Great job!

4. Oh god…….. how awful.

5. Oh dear heavens!! This is a hard hitting bite of tragedy. And so well crafted!

6. Erika Kind says:

My God, that is really tragic. But very impressively written, Geoff!

As they finally cut her free, the fireman who had been merrily keeping her conscious turned to his boss and whispered “I have lost her pulse” . She did not live, she did not survive no she jumped out of the car and skated off into the night leaving her weakened and broken body behind to a chorus of perfect 10s from her guardian angel and his mates.
    Two hours later the Peripherique reopened, no one cares what had caused the accident they all were just grateful that that mangled car and body were not theirs! 💜

8. Yvonne says:

Another “Wow” from the Southern Hemisphere. I hope willowdot21’s ending came true!

9. So…. now you’re crippling French people? I think I need a new shrink.

10. pjlazos says:

Oh, wow. My husband had MS so I can relate to this on so many levels.😩

11. JT Twissel says:

“Trapping her with the diagnosis” – well put.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )