Making A Show Of It #dog #dogshow

This week we are back with Willie Wordsworth who poemised London from Westminster Bridge. Taking him as the start I had a neat link this weekend when I visited friends on the Welsh borders near Ludlow.

We had a long lovely walk on Saturday, stopping briefly by a stone on which is it reputed Wordsworth wrote a poem.

The next day we attended the Ludlow Dog Show in order that the world at large could bask in Dog’s wonderfulness.

Dog and I and dog shows have a bit of a history. One time I tried to create a unique carapace for the mutt only to find the colours I used permanently dyed his coat.

I thought him arresting; the family didn’t and to be fair he did seem a bit embarrassed by the attention.

So it was critical we chose the right category for him. Personally I’d have gone for ‘Fastest Sausage eater – small dog class (let’s face to no one is beating a Labrador)’ but once again the family outvoted me.

This is the result…

Earth has not anything to show more fair

Than Dog, all primped and ready to show

At a country fete in quaint Ludlow.

I know he’s ready as he stands and stares

At the contestants for shaggiest mutt,

Sniffy and aloof in his smooth white coat

Scratching his ear as if to say, ‘it’s not

That hard to be a mess, and win that pot

By being a scruff.’ That’s Dog, he likes to gloat.

Now he’s on; his class of choice – Best Rescue,

Is one he’s ready to embrace and, primed

He looks around, ears up, waiting for his cue

To save the day. But Hero Dog is undermined

By judges who are after cute. They haven’t a clue

These men. A ragbag wins; Dog slumps, resigned.

This entry was posted in dogs, family, miscellany, poems, poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Making A Show Of It #dog #dogshow

1. Darlene says:

Love the cheering section. I agree, well done Milo!! He is so damn cute!

2. barbtaub says:

Well Dog is clearly championship material. Maybe with another handler?

3. He’s our champion

4. Oh, He is definitely a winner as far as I am concerned!

5. Mary Smith says:

I think he should have got best in show.

This is just great!!!
    Personally I loved the art on Dog’s back!!!

7. Erika Kind says:

Yay, congrats to Mr. Dog!!

8. Who’s a good boy then? Your cheer team was terribly British (read ‘subdued’ or ‘not American’) but the dog ahead clearly thought they were cheering him on 🙂 Milo always looks like he is having such a good time, so I doubt the rejection caused him more than a momentary pang, if that!

9. Rowena says:

I wonder if there’s such a category as the “Greatest Underdog”? “Best Underdog in Show” You’ll have to run that one by Milo and see if he approves.
    We happened to catch the best in show day at the Royal Easter Show, Sydney’s big show and thought you might like to check out the competitors, who’ve clearly spent a lifetime at the salon: https://beyondtheflow.wordpress.com/2016/03/29/best-in-show-a-right-royal-mutt/
    Lady is in desperate need of a bath and could well evacuate the dog show if she appeared atm. It’s almost getting warm enough to give her a bath the good old Australian way…with a hose. It seems a bit bvrutal but she goes swimming at the beach which is no warmer. Besides, she used to be a farm dog.
    Best wishes,
    Ro

W eve gone all Australian just now. 56 days with no rain and temperatures in the late 30s. How do you cope apart from living in the sea?

• Rowena says:

A lot of homes have air-conditioning here as do the shops and cinemas. So, when you’re really feeling the heat, they’re popular places to hang out. The dogs used to burrow under the house before we fenced it off. The crazy thing is that you see people out there sunbaking in the midday sun. Our son is often out there sailing and try as we might to get him to coverup and lather himself in sun screen, he gets burnt. Miss is so pale she glows in the dark. Not great for coping with the sun.

I read the Aussi Press is delighting in our heat whingeing.. probably fair to be honest.

10. Widdershins says:

What do those silly ‘oomins know, eh Dog? 🙂

He definitely gets my vote 🌹🌹

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )