When Speaking Welsh Is An Art Form

There are times when the ‘What Is Art?’ conundrum raises its ugly mug and leaves the listener unsure. Charli Mills prompt this week was triggered by someone feeling words on the page couldn’t amount to a sketch and thus did not qualify as art. Which is of course errant bollocloids. I mean all art forms aim to create images in the recipient, pictures in the mind. Some are easy to access and some need more work. But the best ones – like radio, which has better pictures than TV – make you work harder to see them, and therefore are more satisfying when you do.

The prompt this week is

June 28, 2018, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story that is a sketch or about a sketch. It can be “A Sketch of a Romance” or “The Sketch of Aunt Tillie.” Go where the prompt leads you to scribble.

Morgan and Logan, as ever, are grappling with this challenge…

‘What’s occurring?’

‘Tried my hand at drawing, see?’

‘Is this conversation going to be in cod-Welsh?’

‘Don’t be fretting, boyo. What’d you think?’

‘Not got far, have you?’

‘It’s meant to be a sketch.’

‘As in it’s a bit sketchy?’

‘Just because it’s a sketch doesn’t mean it’s unfinished.’

‘You saying there’re different kinds of sketch? A sketchy sketch and a finished sketch?’

‘I suppose… But that’s only with drawing.’

‘Sorry?’

‘Well, a comedy sketch wouldn’t be a sketch if it wasn’t finished would it? Like a joke without a punchline?’

‘I’m confused.’

‘That’s because this is in Welsh.’

This entry was posted in carrot ranch, creative writing, flash fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to When Speaking Welsh Is An Art Form

Another gigglesome entry!!!

2. Mary Smith says:

Made me smile 🙂

3. Erika Kind says:

Haha, even I laughed although I am not into the differences between English and Welsh… lol!

4. Rowena says:

Being a simple Ozstraylian, I just wanted to punch someone here, but couldn’t quite work out who.
    It’s interesting that you should mention comedy sketches. Quite aside from both my kids being in Gang Show, which will be opening in two weeks, I found out that my grandmother’s grandmother was the pianist in a Minstrel Show back in 1886. In the same show, she also appeared in a romantic farce. This has had me researching Minstrel shows and downloading the music. Not all of it was racist and it’s been fascinating downloading the original sheet music complete with the original Victorian illustrations. Finding this out about my Great Great Grandmother has been quite profound, and I wrote this up today, which I thought you’d appreciate. Here’s a link: https://beyondtheflow.wordpress.com/2018/07/03/the-journey-home-a-personal-quest/
    Best wishes,
    Ro

5. This did make me smile. I think the punch line made it in. 🙂

Your statement is so spot on — “radio, which has better pictures than TV.” I’m tuning into these two characters and though lacking the vowels I can see the punches coming.

Well that’s nice, isn’t it💜

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )