A Woman Of Much Importance #carrotranch #flashfiction

May 31, 2018, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story about warrior women. It can be myth or everyday mothers and wives. Go where the prompt leads.

Fighting The Invisible Enemy

‘How are you, Morgan?’

‘At a loss, Logan.’

‘She’s fighting, though, knowing your ma.’

‘I’m not… you know, I don’t get that whole ‘fighting cancer’ thing’

‘She’s not giving up, is she?’

‘But she ain’t exactly waving her sword either. I mean you can’t will the effing thing away.’

‘What they saying?’

‘Not much. Just more tests. You know what’s hard? She’s always argued. She’d diss a lamppost if it got in her way, but she just lies there, doing nothing. No swearing, not even a hairy eyeball.’

‘Come here. You need to stop fighting yourself.’

‘It sucks, mate.’

This entry was posted in carrot ranch, creative writing, flash fiction, miscellany and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to A Woman Of Much Importance #carrotranch #flashfiction

1. That hits home. I don’t get the ‘after a brave struggle against cancer’ thing either. You don’t, can’t fight it, just try and make the going easier on the ones you love.

• trifflepudling says:

I agree. The whole terminology they use is so dire. It helps nobody.

• It makes it sound as if they could have ‘defeated’ the disease if only they’d fought a bit harder. Also that it’s somehow brave to suffer from cancer. My great uncle’s wife had breast cancer and never told anyone because she was nursing my great uncle who almost died of pneumonia and other lung-related complications. When he recovered, it was too late for her to have treatment and she died. She didn’t ‘fight’ or ‘struggle’ it was self-sacrifice, quiet and undramatic. But she still died.

Thank you for sharing that. Everyone has their own approach. My father died of Prostate cancer and he railed against everything and if there was a fight to be had he’d have been in that ring but the fighting such as it was were the chemicals of chemo. I felt his frustration that there was nothing he could fight but the concern of his family. Horrid but the battle came too late.

• That sounds much more realistic. My mother died of pancreatic cancer three weeks before her appointment for a biopsy that she only got because my sister went down to the hospital and threatened to break somebody’s neck if she didn’t get one. So we never knew what she had until she was dead. She spent the last weeks of her life tidying up so she wouldn’t be leaving a mess for somebody else to clear up. Call it fighting if you like, but I think it’s more a resignation that death can’t be voided by ‘fighting’.

That’s horrid and the idea she didn’t fight or failed in her fight insults what she was and what she tried to do.

• It’s probably a sign of the subtle sexism we have lived with for so long that we haven’t even noticed it. Of course the only heroic course has always involved fighting. Strength means beating brains out, not quietly getting on with what needs to be done. Maybe it will change. I hope so.

one day we will learn – so long as we elect less Trumps of course

• That will mean we have learned. The problem is that Trump is not alone—he represents hundreds of millions, all thinking like him, all approving his idiocy. It’s that that has to change, the ignorance that makes people hero worship heartlessness and cruelty.

Thanks Gilly my experience precisely

I replied to your later comment about my experiences. I don’t want to minimise how anyone deals with this awful disease but fighting and battling seems at odds with what is needed. Focus and determination to did what it takes but a fight? Mo I don’t think that’s what it is

• trifflepudling says:

I am very sorry to hear that, Jane. An extraordinarily selfless thing to do.
        The language used around this illness makes me very angry and needs drastic rethinking. As if the whole thing isn’t cruel and unkind enough without that added traumatic image.
        I hope your great-uncle had a good few years after that.
        And Geoff, I hope the lady in your story recovered, at least in spirit!

Thanks Gilly. I think we’re on the same page with this language thing

• No, I don’t think the battle analogies are the right ones. It implies winners and losers, as if the person who is sick is somehow in control, and if they lose, it’s because they didn’t fight hard enough.

2. rogershipp says:

heart-breaking…

3. the part you said about not being able to will cancer away, that was great. I really enjoyed this piece!

4. You can fight it with treatment if you choose to, or you can give up. Depends on your state of mind. I chose to fight mine with radiotherapy. It took the cancer away, but now I’m fighting against the bloody awful side effects.

This is so sad…

6. JT Twissel says:

If only people had a fighting chance against cancer or any major disease for that matter. Maybe someday but I don’t think we’re there yet. Sad.

7. Well, that opened an interesting conversation! Well done!

8. Absolutely says it all. My dad would have also fought if he had a chance in hell, but of course, no chance at all. A brilliant piece of writing Geoff, (I’m loving your book too!!)

It is just like that someties 💜

10. Very, very sad, Geoff. There seems to be such a growing trend with cancer it is most frightening.

11. Pingback: Warrior Women « Carrot Ranch Literary Community

12. Annecdotist says:

Great flash and totally agree with the sentiment. And the beautiful moth?

It does suck, and not just for the one suffering physically. Well told. I agree with your other readers – beautiful pic.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )