Beware A Politician’s Gift #flashfiction

She remembered two things from her first day as a minister – all political careers end in failure and nothing’s forgotten more quickly than a reshuffled minister. And here she was being reshuffled to let ‘Big Beast’ Bertrand Collins back in now he had won a by election.

Elise felt cheated. The PM’s oily sincerity while his people analysed her, checking for signs of rebellion. He hadn’t stayed in power for so long without such checks. And Elise couldn’t – didn’t want to – hide her disappointment. ‘Take a break,’ he said. ‘Use our island. Be pampered.’

Here she was, in tropical splendour. All sorts of fun and now this. They were to take a cast of her, like at Tussauds. She’d noticed the figurines already, lifelike if a little chilling. Maybe they seemed out of place here.

They wrapped her, while she sipped a cocktail and dozed.

Her brain felt fried. How could she be still wrapped up and why were they carrying her downstairs?

As the men tilted her upright she realised the awful truth and what it was about the eyes of the figurines that has so disturbed her.

This entry was posted in creative writing, flash fiction, miscellany and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Beware A Politician’s Gift #flashfiction

Arrrrrrrrrrgh 😱

2. Erika Kind says:

Ooooooooohhhhh! Reminds me of “House of Wax” 😱😱

3. Reminds me of Carry on Screaming, but really creepy!

Smart placement midway through the story this line of irritation: “…and now this.” It sets up a rouse for the reader so the chilling end grabs us, smashing her thoughts of inconvenience. Great story!

Now THAT is creepy!!!

6. This somehow reminded me of the Stepford Wives – a book I found horrifying at the time – and now realise is probably factual, like your story 🙂

7. JT Twissel says:

I guess the moral is, don’t doze off if you’re a politician !

8. Anabel Marsh says:

I think one or two of them escaped and came back.

9. Who’d want to go into politics after reading this? Me? Yes, Minster. 😀

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w