When The Balloon Goes Up #carrotranch #flashfiction

This week’s prompt from Charli at the Carrot Ranch is

March 8, 2018, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story that features a balloon. It can be a party balloon or a hot air balloon. How does it add to your story? Go where the prompt leads.

‘You know, Logan, I used to hate balloons.’
‘Why Morgan?’
‘Tacky to the touch, horrible bang if they popped…’
‘Nervy child were you?’
‘Maybe.’
‘I had one once. Floated.’
‘Helium?’
‘I was entranced. My dad sucked in the gas and his voice went squeaky. Loved my dad for that.’
‘You know, Logan, that perfectly describes the difference between us. I had flaccid exploding latex and you an other-worldly wonder. It’s a miracle we have anything in common, don’t you think?’
‘We’d be the same today, if we had a balloon.’
‘Why?’
‘Both would be full of hot air.’

This entry was posted in carrot ranch, flash fiction, miscellany, prompt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to When The Balloon Goes Up #carrotranch #flashfiction

Ha Ha! Loved it! “Flaccid latex”!

2. Ha! Nice ending, Geoff! 🙂

3. Michael says:

So true Geoff.

4. Haha! Love the ending. Don’t you love the crazy helium voice?

5. This was hilarious – I’ll be looking at balloons slightly different now haha!

6. Rowena says:

This was great Geoff and it prompted me to have a go and I just made it in thanks to being a time zone a few ahead. Here’s a link to mine: https://beyondtheflow.wordpress.com/2018/03/14/the-silent-bomb-carrot-ranch/
    It’s based on prank I played on my brother except I was laughing so much he got suspicious. Siblings are great inventions.
    Hope you are having a great week.
    Best wishes,
    Ro

7. Ha ha, Geoff, a great post.

😉😉😉🤣🤣🤣🤣

You haven’t fully lived until you’ve sung on high with helium from a balloon! Now I see their differences.

10. Pingback: Balloons « Carrot Ranch Literary Community

Geoff, you’ve done it again – found the humour in an everyday event. I must admit, it’s hard not to laugh at those helium affected voices, particularly if they’re laughing too!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w