First day Of Spring

So on the first day of spring, we had weather that was anything but… This ditty was one of Dad’s favourites

SPRING HAS SPRUNG

THE GRASS IS RIZ,

I WONDER WHERE THE BIRDIE IS?

THE BIRD IS ON THE WING!

BUT THAT’S ABSURD

THE WING IS ON THE BIRD.

Anon

My name is Geoff Le Pard. Once I was a lawyer; now I am a writer. I've published several books: a four book series following Harry Spittle as he grows from hapless student to hapless partner in a London law firm; four others in different genres; a book of poetry; four anthologies of short fiction; and a memoir of my mother. I have several more in the pipeline. I have been blogging regularly since 2014, on topic as diverse as: poetry based on famous poems; memories from my life; my garden; my dog; a whole variety of short fiction; my attempts at baking and food; travel and the consequent disasters; theatre, film and book reviews; and the occasional thought piece. Mostly it is whatever takes my fancy. I avoid politics, mostly, and religion, always. I don't mean to upset anyone but if I do, well, sorry and I suggest you go elsewhere. These are my thoughts and no one else is to blame. If you want to nab anything I post, please acknowledge where it came from.
This entry was posted in gardening, gardens, poems, poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to First day Of Spring

1. I love the hedge faces!

Great first spring day eh!!!!

3. Lovely post, Geoff. I absolutely hate snow (and ice), so this is a huge compliment from me — the photos are gorgeous. Stay warm.
    We’re having a terrible wind storm here (DC), so bad that the Fed actually closed all the agencies (locally). They called it an urban forest, and those hundred year old trees are coming down right and left… Happy weekend hugs.

4. Nice one, Geoff

5. Phil Taylor says:

So it’s Spring there according to the calendar? I didn’t know it was different that the States. Love the Easter Island bushes!

6. gordon759 says:

Nice that you have managed to put a face to the greatest of all poets – Anon.

7. It is so pretty, Geoff.

8. JT Twissel says:

Brrr… stay warm. We had a wild first day of spring – rain, wind, sleet. No snow though (except in the mountains.)

9. I feel guilty! The sun is shining here in the rolling hills of KY and 50+ degrees. Still, with the snow, you have a beautiful place! Have a good weekend!

10. Darlene says:

The first day of Spring is March 21 so we have a few weeks for the weather to smarten up. Your hedges look great!

11. higginsmj says:

Great photos of Spring! Stay warm and safe. That poem was a great favourite of my son when he was little. He’s 46 now! We still chuckle when we recall him reciting it!

Fabulous words and photos💜

13. In Maine we refer to spring as ‘late winter,’ but I’m happy to say we escaped precipitation from this latest storm. We always called the spring snows ‘poor man’s fertilizer.’ So your grass and garden have just gotten a jolt of Vitamin S!

14. Spring? I thought that was the day after the first Monday of the second week of a month that used to have 32 days? Great photos of the Winter, Geoff. I’m sticking to Spring springing on 21st March. I think we have a better chance then.

15. Ali says:

Love that ditty! And your snowy faces!

Comments are closed.