What Is A Poem? Is it about the words?

Scamming Grammar

I’ve always hated grammar

So imagine my surprise

When suddenly last summer

I came across this prize

A message in a bottle

That really made me frown

It forced my stops to glottel

And turned my verbs to nouns.

My tenses were not passive

When the letter I pulled free

It left me with this massive

Urge to throw it back to sea.

The writer started out with prose

Which filled me full of terror

Because, and let us just suppose

It was a schoolboy error.

He tried to use a rhyming scheme

A sort of limerick

Which was enough to make me scream

And an urge, his bubble, to prick.

I am not proud, I have to say

I tore his words to pieces

Which left him somewhere high and dry

Alone amongst his clichés.

This entry was posted in poems, poetry and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to What Is A Poem? Is it about the words?

Very good His Geoffleship!

2. davidprosser says:

Now that’s a poem not one of these little Japanese inventions of 3 words.
    Hugs

3. Ha-ha! He who lives in a glass house ……. 😀

4. Erika Kind says:

At least you have something in common in some way… lol!

5. It’s hilarious. I thought of every cheesy poet I’ve ever met who knew everything about grammar and nothing about poetry.

6. Rowena says:

Fantastic poem, Geoff. Had a great laugh and also loved the banter in the comments. I did note that you’ve been promoted to your “Geoffleship”. Congratulations. Does that come with a car space?
    I wanted to share my contribution for Friday Fictioneers with you because it reminded me of Dickhead Travels when I thought about it today: https://beyondtheflow.wordpress.com/2018/02/08/not-the-taj-mahal-friday-fictioneers/
    BTW Here’s a moment from Idiot Organizer. Yesterday, I was going through all my paperwork with one of my support workers and updating my diary and filling out a mountain of forms, which I mostly did without her assistance. She was mostly there to make sure I sat in the chair and didn’t disappear on a flight of fancy of any description.
    Anyway, I was pretty chuffed with it all. However, later on I could find my phone. Not an unusual occurance. So, I did the usual and tried calling it. Fortunately, it was still alive and like a long lost sheep, I could hear it bleating from the bookshelf. I’m not sure if this immediately tells you how baffled I was but I’d expected the phone to be on the kitchen table, beside my bed or chair and the bookshelf almost seemed like it was calling from the afterlife.
    Anyway, after pulling the folders I’d been working on out, there was still no phone.
    I rang again.
    To be absolute horror, despair and nightmares, I’d somehow managed to file the phone in the box of plastic sleeves. I tell you. That takes effort.
    It’s become my story of the week.
    I hope your week is behaving itself and being more straightforward!
    xx Ro

Hehehe. Well done, Geoff. The trials of a poet.

8. JT Twissel says:

Very clever! Tickled my funny bone this morning. Thx!

9. Al Lane says:

But I keep coming back for some reason! 😀

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )