The Edge of the Mind

January 25, 2018, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story that goes to the edge. Consider what the edge might be and how it informs the story. Go where the prompt leads.

This is the latest Carrot Ranch prompt

Morgan threw down his cup. ‘Effing Nora, Logan.’
Logan’s eyebrows snapped up. ‘What?’
Morgan didn’t know where to start. How could he? Why would he?
It was like someone – something – had taken him over. He looked at his hand, knuckles draining, fingers curling. He saw a future: arm pulled back, surprise followed by fear then anger, a punch, a crunch, blood, noise, mayhem. He felt the impact, the way his hand was absorbed before the jolt of bone. Pain, different types of pain. Like an inevitable train wreck.
‘Sorry.’
The edge of his rage disappeared and he sat. ‘Man.’

This entry was posted in carrot ranch, creative writing, flash fiction, miscellany, prompt and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Edge of the Mind

1. Vivid, Geoff! Well done. Hugs.

2. Erika Kind says:

Wow! Yes, I agree with Ritu, great take, Mr. Geoff!

3. Susanne says:

Good lord! I felt the rage. Very tense.

That was a train wreck of rage expressed in 99 words. Intense!

He was right on the edge. So pleased he (was) snapped out of it. Train wrecks of people aren’t pretty.

6. Annecdotist says:

Well done Morgan for reining in his rage and well done Geoff for capturing it so well. Nevertheless, I think Logan might owe him a bit more than an apology …

7. While depression still gets talked about a bit now, anger/rage is still not taken too seriously as an ‘illness’, at least here in India.

8. Pingback: On the Edge « Carrot Ranch Literary Community

9. A most interesting take on this prompt, Geoff. Well done!

10. floatinggold says:

Great illustration of the hidden rage.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )