The Help #shouldbewritingbutamponderinginstead

Nano is time consuming. Useful, sure. Satisfying, eventually. Fun? Well yes and no. It seems to involve a lot of bashing at the keyboard – my ‘e’ is looking pasty and, oddly, my ‘s’ has developed a squint – followed by some creative staring: into space, at Dog, out of the window, into the kettle (I’m testing a theory about watched kettles and have moved from an outside study: that is ascertaining the ideal distance from which to study the kettle so that it isn’t distracted from the matter in hand, viz bringing the water to the boil – to the consideration of the inside only my glasses steam up and my beard has withered somewhat in the heat), at my nails – pretty much anywhere other than at the page.

And it is apparent that my creative juices need a bit of a boost. Flagging. Drooping. A lack of pert. When Nano is done…

December is coming and I’ve promised to pen a short story as a guest author. I want to write some other stuff. I’m working on memoir of my mum, too, using some of the posts I’ve done about her here on this blog. And I’d like, maybe to do some more.

Here’s the thing. Can you help? All I want from you is a word or two. A prompt. Maybe a phrase. Nothing specialist – like the word for the inside lining of a camel’s spleen – but just something that might trigger a memory. Don’t be too obvious. Or modern. She didn’t really do ‘modern’. Just pop them in the comments, I will sift through and see where they take me. I promise to do a little blog-pluggery if you are chosen.

Let’s see where it takes us.

This entry was posted in memoires, prompt, short story and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to The Help #shouldbewritingbutamponderinginstead

1. Winter jacket
    Newspaper article
    TMI (too much information) 🙂

Great ideas brewing here, Geoff.

Vegetables
    Technology
    Glasses!

3. floridaborne says:

A soldier looking at the moon from the Queen Mary as it takes him home after WWII.
    How the ocean humbles me, a tiny drip becomes a sea, creating a tsunami.

4. Juliet Nubel says:

Forty winks. Why on earth I am thinking of these two words may simply be determined by the fact that I am sitting by the fire, pet iPad on knee, and I can hardly keep my eyes open. The beep from your piece landing in my inbox shook me from my reverie. Plus my wee Granny (who looked very much like your mum) used to do/have/get/take this most afternoons.
    Hope they help. Ninight.

5. No good to man nor beast.
    Neither use nor ornament.
    Shall we have the news, dear?
    This is where we came in.

6. Joy Pixley says:

Pie crust, homemade or store bought?
    Shirt collars, pro and con.
    Young people these days….

7. I was brought up to believe
    Do your best dear
    The garden needs…….

Trigger memories of your mum?
    Baking days: favourite recipes, botched meals.
    School pick-ups: embarrassment, talks with the teacher
    Knows best: when did you mother know what you were up to?

9. gordon759 says:

Now I am not going to suggest the word for the inside lining of the camel’s spleen, as if i would. But as you know i do like interesting and unusual words, So how about words that seem obscure but are, I believe, the only words for things you use every day.
    How about an Aglet and a Tittle?

10. Erika Kind says:

The first word that came to my mind was “Home”.

11. Shopping trolly, holidays, oven gloves, bees, telephone, the Radio Times…