In Flanders Fields

Three years ago a display of ceramic poppies filled the moat at the Tower of London. I took some pictures and then the Archaeologist recited possibly the most powerful WW1 poem and sent me the link. It’s attached below in the post I did at the time if you are interested.

Last night I was at Wembley to watch a game of football between England and Germany. Before the match, both teams laid poppy wreaths and stood for a minute’s silence to remember all people killed in conflicts around the world as a symbol to ask for peace together. The Last Post played and  choked up as  I always do

As I stood I reflected on the fact that it took so many years for this little symbol to happen.  If there’s one remaining situation where public displays of jingoism are permitted, nay expected it is international football matches. Yet here I was with 80000 applauding respectfully the two teams. The German national anthem played to hardly a sound and we sat down in a reflective mood.

Of course it was a little thing but to me hugely symbolic. Have we grown up at last? Is this a really a symbol to hold onto?

I do hope so

via In Flanders Fields

This entry was posted in miscellany, poems, thought, WW1 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to In Flanders Fields

We can but hope this little acknowledgement is a sign of a bigger change His Geoffleship .

2. Good stuff. Pax orbis.

3. noelleg44 says:

If we do not remember, we are doomed to repeat. I had to memorize In Flander’s Field when I was in middle school. I can still recite it. Peace, love and thanks to all the men and women serving in Armed Forces everywhere and especially to my son, on his fourth deployment to the Middle East.

4. I certainly hope so, Geoff.

5. Mick Canning says:

It’d be lovely to think we had finally grown up, but I won’t be holding my breath!

6. A beautiful post, Geoff. I am delighted to see the English all celebrating their war veterans the way I am seeing it today.

It’s done well these days and I find it heartening that yesterday we stood with the Germans in unity and today I was at Twickenham with the Argentinians. Recent foes but together in the hope of a future peace.

7. JT Twissel says:

I was actually in London three years ago and visited the Tower. It was an unforgettable experience.

I love this poem most of all the war poems. I also visited the tower and was in awe of what I saw. We have a Poppy from there and will pass it on to our eldest Grandson when the time is right. I am afraid I have no optimising for world peace…. 💜

9. Rowena says:

At least, some have grown up. Or, is more a case of growing old, and water flowing under the bridge? It seems that the need to hate and find enemies has shifted onto new foes.
    I have been puppy parenting and it’s become quite clear with two sets of pups, that they love to fight. They go looking for a fight. If their “colleagues” are asleep, they’ll wake them up for a fight. These fights generate a lot of growls but they’re playful and I suspect part of their development and help them to build up strength.
    Unfortunately there are humans who seems to share the pups’ love of a fight, but they’re fighting with violence and destruction. Fortunately, they’re in the minority but they’re making sure their presence is felt.
    xx Rowena

I was pleased to be there and see that wonderful display. It was very moving.