Meating The Maker #cake #vegan

I’m not a vegan; I’m not a vegetarian. I eat far less meat than I once did, and have little red meat but… chicken and fish… yes, I do. And so do – maybe did – my family. Then the Lawyer and the Beautician returned from six months in Singapore and announced they’d found the light, or maybe the lite and they were vegan. For now anyway.

This created a small dilemma. As you with kiddies will well understand, after an absence you want to see your sproglets on their return and this often involves food. So a rapid review of our many cookbooks and online recipes was undertaken. In the last few days we’ve enjoyed a mushroom speltelet, a cashew and green bean curry, various soups and an apple crumble that ticks every vegan box. Pretty good, all of it.

But regular watchers of these pages will notice the lack…

…. of cake.

Well, damn it, that’s not going to happen, is it? So another bit of research and I had it. A completely vegan carrot cake. Yep, including the customary creamy topping.

I just thought, you know, let’s share it. It is rather scrummy.

Cake

260 gm plain flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon bicarb

½ teaspoon nutmeg

3 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

125 gm applesauce (I used a Bramley from the garden, that I’d previously softened – no added sugar in my case – having larger lumps added interest to the final cake)

1 cup of Almond milk (we already use this to make porridge – if you like porridge and haven’t tried this it is fab)

2 teaspoons of vanilla

120 grams caster sugar (I’m  great believer in not believing you need anything like the sugar they say in recipes – I halved this without any loss of taste)

½ cup melted coconut oil

240 gms grated carrot

Heat oven to 350F, 200C. Grease loaf tin. I line the sides and bottom to make sure the cake comes out easily.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, bicarb, spices and salt. Separately whisk apple, almond, vanilla, oil and sugar.

Add dry to wet and mix well. Fold in carrots.

Bake for 30 – 40 minutes: cover the top towards the end if you think it might burn. Use a skewer to check it is done.

It needs to cool after cooked before applying the topping which is made thus:

60 gm macadamia nuts soaked drained rinsed

60 gm cashews soaked drained rinsed

¼ cup almond milk

¼ cup maple syrup

2 tablespoons coconut oil

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 teaspoon lemon juice

½ teaspoon salt

Blend everything till smooth. Chill. Spread over cake.

EAT!

And while you are eating have a giggle; Charlie Drake was a very visual comedian from my childhood. This version of the 1812 is superb. I was reminded of it from a piece about infinity mirrors that Sue Vincent wrote here

This entry was posted in cake, cooking, miscellany and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Meating The Maker #cake #vegan

That sounds and looks delish His Geoffleship 😉

2. Fab recipe! I just know that vegan can mean yummy food and a healthier body, in most cases. Keep enjoying the options.

3. Good on you for adapting. My adult children introduced me to some food programs over the years. Not pure vegan, but a bit more veg., gluten-free, etc. There is no bad carrot cake !

4. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    Geoff Le Pard has got the Vegan cooking down pat… or is that marge.. anyway he has a recipe for a vegan carrot cake.. with vegan icing.. and it looks delicious.. oh and the icing on the cake… Charlie Drake with the 1812 Overture.. brilliant..

5. Anabel Marsh says:

Good for them, and good luck to them! I’ve been a vegetarian for 30+ years but vegan is HARD. I wish I could do it. it’s not too difficult at home, but if you want to eat out it can be very tricky.
    PS and I love cheese so much. Hypocritical, I know.

6. mistimaan says:

Loved your yummy recipe 🙂

7. gordon759 says:

I can remember the Charlie Drake 1812 when it was originally on. Brilliant!

8. Sounds tasty Geoff very tempting!

9. Erika Kind says:

That recipe sounds so yummy… and the video is just so funny!!

10. Well done you! It looks and sounds mighty fine and I can still remember how much I loved carrot cake. However these days I am a no wheat and no processed sugar person and my body loves me for that – so while I still love a good a cake in theory they don’t make one for me – yet…….

11. FlorenceT says:

I like food, but this is way too much effort… for me. ☺ Stay healthy!

12. I so agree that you are always delighted to see the adult children come home to visit after long absences. I have vegan and vegetarian friends so I try to meet them somewhere in the middle…of a good restaurant. I love carrot cake. Yours looks wonderful. It’s a strange world we are in these days. Once upon a time, we were lucky to get meals, now we are quite fussy about them and consume more than we need. Can you see me shaking my head here?

Thanks you! Perfect timing! Tomorrow is my vegan daughter’s birthday and I’ve been fretting about cake!

14. dgkaye says:

Yummy and entertaining Geoff, thanks! 🙂

15. Gloria says:

This looks delicious. My little girl can’t have sugar so this would be excellent as a treat for her. Without the topping of course!

16. Allie P. says:

It looks tasty! Then again most cake does.

17. Very adventurous, Geoff. My sister has announced that she is now a vegan so we may well be testing this recipe.

18. Sue Vincent says: