Life In All Its Forms #covers

In 2016 I launched a book of 30 short stories based around a challenge I undertook to write 30 stories in November 2015. I called it Life, In A Grain Of Sand after one of the stories but also reflecting the fact the stories each came from a simple prompt and covered the whole range of genres, cases, tenses, POVs. Life, a grain at a tine; life in all its glorious muddle, really.

I have now decided to launch my second collection, this time utilising many of the Flash Fiction pieces I have written over the last 3 years, but with a few longer stories too. Since these are predominantly flash fiction or similar and wanting to have some consistency with my previous collection, this will be called Life In A Flash. The ‘flash’ might be the speed of creating, how quick they are to read, or the inspiration behind each one. You decide. This will be available next month.

So the reason for the post? The cover. Or rather, the covers.

As avid readers of this blog (really? Haven’t you something better to do?!) will know, I have recently been changing the covers of my books to ensure a consistency between them. This is the opportunity to do the same with my short stories. In addition to referencing my other works, however, I want there to be a link between each collection, specific to the collections. Soooo… my designer and I muttered and mumbled and thought, that, given there is no one story or indeed theme to the collections, we should look at the titles and use these as our inspiration.

For Life In A Flash we liked this

And for Life, In A Grain Of Sand, this

Or maybe this.

What do you, oh kind readers, think?

This entry was posted in cover reveal and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Life In All Its Forms #covers

1. Sue Vincent says:

The first one πŸ™‚

2. Pingback: Life In All Its Forms #covers | Annette Rochelle Aben

3. Frank Hubeny says:

The first one which is more colorful.

4. Joy Pixley says:

For the two “Sand” ones, I like the first one better, because it matches the “Flash” cover better, and doesn’t have the words over the man’s forehead. I like both books’ covers, and they definitely look related, but they are also so very similar (in style and title) that you’re pretty much committing to a title of “Life in a Something” for the next story collection, maybe for many more. Do you have ideas on what those might be? I can imagine several options, so it’s not like you’re stuck with no third book title option, but you should probably plan that out to be sure you’re happy with it. .

Thanks Joy; you have hit the nail on my furrowed brow! Yes, I gave a lot of thought to what I would do but the Life in/of/from etc leaves plenty of scope I think, as you’ve suggested and there are many ways we might take the basic image and change it about. I’ll take the chance since I dont have a third volume planned yet!

• Joy Pixley says:

I keep picturing insects instead of sand, especially bees. Or leaves. Or vines or tree roots. There really are many lovely options. I’d be tempted to imagine the cover first and then write the stories that matched the theme – but then, I’m always so inspired by photo prompts. Have fun with it!

Me too. I love photo prompts. They are the best for me too.

5. Like the first Sand one best as the words are not on your forehead, Love the colorful one for the flash fiction.

6. Ruth says:

Definitely the first sand one, matches much better πŸ™‚

Oh His Geoffleship it’s you!!!!
    I love the idea of the consistent covers!
    And the Life in A Grain of Sand one, the top one stands out more!
    Bravo!

8. janmalique says:

Sand – I think the first one has more impact, the font type doesn’t distract so much. The Flash cover is really lovely, great colours, rather eye-catching.

9. Life in a Grain of Sand

10. Darlene says:

I also prefer the first Grain of Sand cover. Very clever!

11. Mick Canning says:

Life in a Flash is superb! And also the first one for Life in a Grain of Sand.

12. How clever to feature the author on the cover. Love your second collection cover – it’s colourful and fun!! The first ‘grain’ cover is my preference – the smaller font for less important words always works well.

13. I love this idea for your covers, Geoff., fun and consistent. The first one is the best for the sand book

I like the first one , I really, really , really do!! β€πŸ’•β€πŸ’•β€πŸ’•

15. No. I have nothing better to do. Really. Nothing. πŸ™‚

A flash collection! Woot! I’m on board with that, Le Pard. Though…my little flash and your brilliant flash… No, no. We are in this together. Together we shall flash. πŸ˜‰ ❀ Very excited about this, Geoff. Thrilled, actually.

And, as you know since I won't shut up about it, I love that you've gotten your book covers all similar. These two are fabulous as a pair. For Grain of Sand, the first one. Definitely. When is it due out? (Did I miss that?) Can't wait to get the second one and will get the first one again so I have the new cover.

16. Yep, I’m on the same side of the fence with everyone else on this. George has come up trumps with these covers, Geoff. Good luck with the launch. If I can be of any help, then you know where I am.

17. alexankarr1 says:

I prefer the second option for Life In A Grain Of Sand – the font is less squashed together and cramped.