Blooming Marvellous

I thought I’d share a poem of dad’s with an update on the garden

Island Ferry

Crisp and fresh, the air this morning, on the open upper deck

While the muddy river waters froth and churn

There’s a drift of salty spray as our vessel pulls away

And Lymington is slowly left astern.

The sun is still half-hidden in the early morning haze

And all around the screaming seagulls fly,

And, ahead, the island lies on a barely seen horizon

Like a supine giant, dark against the sky.

Across the gleaming mudflats the distant reed-beds stand,

A verdant carpet, lavishly unrolled,

While beyond, the tops of trees, barely shifting in the breeze,

Catch the morning sun and briefly glow with gold.

A solitary heron, still and silent, sees us pass,

Poised to strike and single-minded, shows no fear,

For the swirling tide reveals the writhing silver eels,

And swiftly falls the deadly, darting spear.

Past the Yacht Club and Marina, past a multitude of masts,

Past the posts and buoys that mark our course along,

‘Till the Solent is before us and seabirds raucous chorus

Is mingled with the rising seawind song.

The mist has nearly gone now, and across a sparkling sea

The ferry, slow and steady, makes her way,

And all the world is bright in the shining morning light,

With the promise of a lovely Summer day.

This entry was posted in miscellany. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Blooming Marvellous

1. Miriam says:

What an exquisite garden and equally lovely words. 🌹🌷🌸

2. Absolutely lovely!

Love this poem, the photos are glorious! I just spent a week in Portsmouth, and saw the IOW ferry going in and out when we visited Gun Wharf and ascended the Spinnaker! I know Mr Lepard was waxing lyrical about the Lymington to Yarmouth I have used that one often too. Lovely post 💜

4. The color, the sharp images, with the words to match….just beautiful, Geoff. ❤️ 💛 💚 💙 💜

5. Aquileana says:

Absolutely gorgeous, Geoff… Hope you are getting ready for summer… Winter has just started in my hemisphere (upside down 😉 ) Best wishes to you 🙂

6. Mary Smith says:

Lovely – both the garden and the words.

7. josypheen says:

Beautiful!
    Those gooseberries are looking ready to eat as well!

8. Oh how lovely Geoff, both your Dad’s poem and the garden. I love that yellow rose the best, stunning! 🙂

9. Your dad had quite an artists soul didn’t he – acute observation mixed with the ability to reflect back the inter-relationships, the beauty, the substance and the feelings related to those observations. And make it all rhyme too 🙂 And your garden looks so healthy and beautiful. It’s wonderful!!

10. The garden is looking good, and your Dad takes us along with him

11. Debora Henigan says:

Beautiful words and pictures both.