Of geese and coffee cups #poem #poetry

The Unknown
And
The Misunderstood.

In a continuum
Of blinks
Only one matters.

All past blinks are as one;
All future blinks are but practice dreams.
The one that matters
Is the twitch of a muscle,
A slide of skin,
A pucker of flesh.

I can repeat but not relive, nor anticipate.

The bubble

In the opalescence
Of its sheen,
In the delicacy
Of its construction,
In the ineffable simplicity
Of its physics.
It is its own moment and
Perfect.

I look to the honking heights:

The geese above my head
Are arrows across a severe sky.
They are
But one blink
In a bubble of
The Present;
A present to me
In my now.
In the space
Where geese appear to me,
Like bubbles on the surface
Of my coffee,
I can stop flight, freeze time

And in my now
I feel
I see
I sense
The beauty of a certain fact.
Not tortured memory
Playing tricks;
Not feeble speculation
With the seeds
Of its own disappointment.

These geese,
My geese,
Are my now.
My Present Presence.
And for that
I give thanks.

This entry was posted in miscellany, poems, poetry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Of geese and coffee cups #poem #poetry

1. Miriam says:

Always give thanks. Love this.

2. Love my coffee and my geese! This is spectacular!

3. Rowena says:

Sounds like you’ve been drinking too much mindfulness lately, Geoffle.
    Jokes aside, I really loved this and the references to the cappucino foam in particular. That’s appeared in a few of my poems over the years. It’s intriguing stuff and always seems to contain the meaning of life when you’re swirling your spoon through it. Or, watching that spoonful of sugar collapse through the foam.
    How are things going in London? I have been thinking of you and had thought you might’ve mentioned something about the fire. That haunting skeleton of the burned out building is truly horrifying and reminds me of the World Trade Centre before it collapsed. It’s moments like this where the world feels like such a small place and I’ve felt such a sense of connection with London lately. That we’re all connected.
    xx Rowena

Hi and I grateful for your thoughts turning this way. I’m not sure what to say about the fire in truth. It was so unnecessary if that’s the right thing to say, so many needless corners cut or ignored and now many many lives taken and countless others impacted dreadfully.
      On more frothy subjects have you ever gone and looked at latte art. Some really creative coffee out there!!

• Rowena says:

Blogging has really connected me to what’s happening overseas and when I hear about something happening I connect it up with one or mor eof my “blogging mates”. They come to represent a place, a country and in a sense become bigger than Ben Hur.
        I just Googled the latte art and saw some amazing stuff. I have enough trouble doodling.
        I hope you have a great weekend. I really am feeling quite keen to do nothing. Does that sound too terrible? It is Winter after all…a time of hibernation.
        xx Ro

Mine will be fab. The vet qualified fully today and the lawyer has a job post qualification in October so my work here is done earthlings

4. JT Twissel says:

Beautiful Geoff. Geese like arrows across the sky – particularly like that image!

5. A most enjoyable ode to mindfulness – such a lovely way to practise too, over a cup of coffee, perfectly made and presented!

6. Lovely and thought-provoking

7. trifflepudling says:

What happens if you have straight black coffee like me?! Everything’s black, all black …! Noooo