In the Land of Grey and Pink

Or maybe yellow and pink; or green and pink. Pink anyway. The sun shone after a night of sporadic rain and the roses burst into an abundance of, er, every colour.

But just as I’m taken by the pink I spot the cornflowers. Is there a better blue anywhere any time than cornflower blue? Is that because it matches the Textiliste’s eyes?

Yes a garden by design… but living its own life, doing its own thing, like the best of us do…

I’ll mix the images with a poem of my own, about the field at the end of the garden of our place in Suffolk; the early images are of the vegetables that are beginning to bloom. And then at the end there’s a surprise and an explanation of the title, if you aren’t old enough to remember

The Field

There’s a field behind our house

That slopes down to the marshes

And the river beyond:

Chemical green with weed,

Dotted with a pair of swans.

The mirror slope has straw bale trolls

Dotted about

Guarding the village,

Dozing in the morning sun.

Crusted with sleep

I release the desperate dog

To corral sheep

And terrorize rabbits,

Plugging their burrows with his snout.

Disappointed

He trots magisterially around the edge,

Re-marking the bounds

And putting the crows in their place,

While he surveys his empire with distain.

I kick the detritus of the amateur archaeology

Undertaken by the rabbits the day before.

Shard of glass, smoothed by years of grit friction,

Pottery fragments, in abstract shapes,

Metal slivers, once shiny now dun.

And, on top of a sandcastle,

Sits proud a ornamented clay pipe,

Stem now detached,

Patiently awaiting the comfort of fired tobacco

That will never now return.

It is unblemished by the lost years

While it waits to signal one more new dawn,

As it once did

In the hands of a

Be-whiskered Victorian watchman,

Standing where I stand,

Breathing in the fresh salty air I breathe,

Admiring the graceful swans

That I admire,

Before turning and climbing heavily,

Back to the warmth and sanctuary

Of the beautifully proportioned building

That has been home to us both.

And then, there’s this. A friend’s brother has a drone; he filmed our garden from above. It’s quite a fun way to see the place, to understand how it fits. Said friend can be seen wandering about…

“It the Land of Grey and Pink’ was a song and an album by Caravan in 1971. Very of its time, it played in the background to my university years…

This entry was posted in gardening, home and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to In the Land of Grey and Pink

1. Lucy Brazier says:

A stunningly beautiful garden! I could sit and wander, wander and sit for hours. I especially like the picture of the gooseberries.

2. Darlene says:

What wonderful colours! I agree, cornflower blue is the most amazing blue. I love the video. I think I saw the dog wandering by the house. A lovely place.

3. Wow Geoff.. fabulous.. a lot of hard work gone into producing such beautiful surroundings.. they make a house.. xx

Fabulous, words and pictures, and boy do I love that house and garden, beautiful! I saw the cat where was the dog? πŸ’–πŸ’œ

5. I LOVE the pink poppies!

6. Charming pome, Geoff. Love the topiary faces!

7. Erika Kind says:

Is that your garden? This is a paradise! I always wanted an abundance of flowers and colors like that. I have a beautiful garden but yours is overflowing. Wonderful!

8. Mary Smith says:

What a gorgeous garden. I saw the cat stroll by but not Dog. Love the topiary faces and am very envious of your gooseberries – mine have a nasty fungal infection. Even the birds don’t want to eat the berries.

ooo is that a thing? Hope we avoid it as the gooseberry harvest is one of my happiest moments!

• Mary Smith says:

It is indeed a thing. I’ve been told to strip all the berries, which are all blackened and whitened, spray the whole thing with anti-fungal stuff and then, in the autumn, move it elsewhere. I really hope I can save it as it’s from a cutting from one of my grandfather’s gooseberry bushes so has some sentimental value to me – as well as producing some wonderful gooseberries in the past.

9. Mary Smith says:

Lovely poem, too.

10. Lovely photos Geoff – I was surprised by the soft pink of the poppies – that is unusual and very pretty. I love cornflower blue too -lucky Textiliste to have such eyes! I’m playing that song as I write this – it’s terrible! πŸ™‚ What fun to have the drone visit. Your place is scrumptious and your poem was pretty good too!

11. Val says:

I haven’t heard Caravan in years. What a lovely garden… we have one of those, too. πŸ™‚ And what a great way to show poetry with beautiful photos in between. Lovely!

12. I remember that garden from last year. In fact, I have a few photos of it. Looking forward to seeing it again next week. How splendid to have that video.

13. You have done a amazing work my Friend..Every picture has a meaning as far as your words are concerned

14. A beautiful poem Geoff. You have such a variety of wonderful, colourful flowers in your garden and it must be such a pleasure spending time there.