A wander about #sundaywalks

We took in some air today. Sunshine and sea were the hope but as ever Β we hoped for variety. Walking around the town of Southwold on the Suffolk coast gives us that. We strolled through a seared landscape of both colourful and burnt gorse

meandered by the ditches and dykes that keep the fields drained and allow wild flowers to bloom and caterpillars to thrive

bumbled past the small, still active harbour on the river Blyth

and back to the town itself

with its lighthouse quaint all-sorts beach huts and pier, via dunes and long Sandy beach.

This is part of Jo’s Monday walks, here

This entry was posted in miscellany, suffolk, walking and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to A wander about #sundaywalks

1. Mary Smith says:

Looks like a great walk with plenty of variety to keep you both happy. Love the beach huts.

2. Darlene says:

Looks like your dog had a good time too. Just the kind of walk our Dot would love.

3. restlessjo says:

It’s a nice little place. I dimly remember it from long ago, Geoff. Anywhere with a lighthouse and a few dunes is good by me. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Many thanks! Have a good week!

4. Erika Kind says:

What a beautiful landscape and gorgeous weather, Geoffle! You had me dreaming when you reached the beach…

Great pics His Geoffleship

6. Love the coloured huts, they are not to be seen downunder! Which is a pity.

Lovely Sunday walk on the beach. Dog is handsome and looks happy to explore. Can you explain the beach bathing houses to me? I’ve always thought of them as changing rooms, but they also look like cottages with a single owner (renter)?

They are small living spaces usually equipped with a camping stove and beach equipment. Some are attached to water few have pier and you aren’t allowed to stay overnight. Hold your breath… some cost upwards of 70000 pounds!!

8. Love the beach huts. We have brightly painted boat sheds along some beaches here. They are generally privately owned and used by families as gathering/storage spaces for beach days. A few folk even keep boats – dingy’s, rowboats, canoes, the very odd speedy thing tucked away in them. That was a nice walk Geoff. Was the gorse burn-off deliberate or accidental?

9. This looks like a walk that our Boston Terrier puppy, Newton, would have really liked. He usually has a big smile like your dog’s.

Fabulous photos πŸ’–πŸ’œπŸŽ†πŸ˜Ž

11. That was a lovely walk. Hope you paid a visit to Gun Hill Beach Caff!

12. tidalscribe says:

Lovely area, one of my want to visit parts of the coast and that answers my question ‘Where was your beach hut background photo taken?’

13. Great shots, Geoff

14. Dog looks like he is smiling and having a good time. I always love a walk by the sea, Southwold looks very pretty. What’s with the burnt gorse though?! Love the colourful beach huts.

15. Pingback: Jo’s Monday walk : Belsay Hall and quarry | restlessjo