How does the garden groweth? #gardening #spring

I’ve had the urge, see. A real throbbing need, an itch to scratch.

It’s the garden and since the weather has been warm and, thank heavens, wet today I’ve done a lot, even extending a gravel path and a bark path through the beds. My tonnes of homemade compost is being spread around and soon the cosmos and sunflowers will go in, with tomatoes and chard to fill spaces and bellies. Even the newts and tadpoles are thriving. Here are a few images, interlaced with one of dad’s poems. Enjoy!!

To Barbara – 21 October 1993

My wife has a passion for gardening

It’s a fever that’s near apolstolic,

When the mood is upon her she’s an absolute goner,

In a word, she’s a garden-oholic!!

But I don’t want to give the impression

That she puts off her housewifely chores!

I’m just pointing out, without any doubt

For her real life is outdoors.

During long, lazy days of summer

When idlers like me take our ease,

She busies for hours ‘mid her plants and her flowers

At one with the birds and the bees.

Winter for her holds no terrors

Though the frost freezes fingers and toes,

And it’s sleeting and snowing and blasting and blowing

There’s a job to be done – out she goes!!

Her only concession to weather

Is to wear either gumboots or clogs,

And she’s first to confess that she couldn’t care less

If it really did rain cats and dogs.

She does pruning and weeding, dead heading and seeding ,

And bashes ahead without pause,

And if I suggest that perhaps she should rest

That’s an idea she quietly ignores.

So I, who am clumsy, just marvel

And delight in the things she has done,

And watch, as she lingers, her gentle green fingers

Bring beauty where once there was none.

This entry was posted in gardening, gardens, poems, poetry and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to How does the garden groweth? #gardening #spring

1. Mary Smith says:

What a glorious garden. I’m jealous. You’d be most welcome to come and assuage your throbbing and your itch in my garden!

Green fingers just doesn’t cover it!

3. There’s obviously a bit of your mum alive and well and living on in you. Your dad’s poem was, of course, just lovely. I’m wondering how your mother felt on receiving all these gifts of love that he lay out before her – (no-ones ever written me a poem so I have no idea what it might feel like Oh woe!) Your garden looks fantastic – is it all your work? And hows that moth trapping apparatus doing?

We do have help these days but the ideas are all Linda’s . She loved the poems though I know she was frustrated he wouldn’t let her show anyone while he was alive. Moth trapping has been put back by cold and wet nights but it will be back.

4. Sweet poem and congrats on the garden to Mrs and Mr LeP! Looking vg.

5. Erika Kind says:

What a gorgeous garden!! I envy you for it, Geoffle. Pure abundance. Absolutely beautiful.

6. Lovely poem and beautiful garden! Is that all your place? I’d love to look out my window and see that. (Nice path you’ve made there, too.)

Such s beautiful pairing of verse and garden shots. It must be hard to focus on one thing in the garden and yet it’s all so pleasing as a whole.

8. My goodness your wife really is a gardening green fingered goddess of magnificence! If you ever has any spare time send her here we really could do with some help!

9. Yes to all garden-oholic’s! The white flowers are captured so well in the UK light, in NZ not so much as our sun is too bright. Enjoy your garden posts, no weeding necessary on my part 🙂

10. Good grief, Geoff. Why have we never seen this miracle before?

11. That is one addiction that should never be given up. Stunning teamwork.

12. Your garden is absolutely beautiful, Geoff. You and your wife must have worked really hard getting it like that.
    The poem was lovely too. I bet your mum would have been impressed with your garden. 🙂

13. josypheen says:

I love the poem and your garden! What a perfect place to relax when there weather is nice!!

14. Sohrab Panday says:

Great poem Geoff!
    Amazing Garden Linda!

Ours is still a building site LOL

15. tidalscribe says:

Fantastic garden, what a lot of thought, creativity and down to earth work must have been dug into it! I love gardening, on a more modest scale, it has to compete with writing and cooking dinner loses….

16. Love the combination of your Dad’s poem with the flower photos – some great photos!