Music For The Hard Of Meaning – day four #songchallenge #music

Nearly there; only two more days and you can take out your earplugs. A short while ago, I (re)found this classic from Joni Mitchell. A friend was giving a concert at the Cadogan Hall with a couple of others, showcasing Female Singer-Songwriters. Carly and Adele and others made for a lovely evening. Then Mary sang this and the lyrics stopped me and made me think. I wrote a post about what the lyrics meant for me. So go Joni…

Here’s the opening lyrics…

Both Sides Now

Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere,
I’ve looked at clouds that way.

But now they only block the sun,
They rain and they snow on everyone
So many things I would have done,
But clouds got in my way.

I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It’s cloud illusions I recall
I really don’t know clouds at all

If you want to go back to the post I’ve highlighted, here it is

This challenge comes from Willow initially and then Ritu; here’s the rules which I’ve ignored (a bit). But go and check theirs because they are both lovely..

The rules are:
Post a song a day for five consecutive days.
Post what the lyrics mean to you.  (Optional)
Post the name of the song and video.
Nominate 1 or 2 bloggers each day of the challenge.

It’s the nominate piece that I don’t like; I know this is an imposition but let’s have a think? Nope, no one. Maybe tomorrow

This entry was posted in challenge, miscellany, music and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Music For The Hard Of Meaning – day four #songchallenge #music

1. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    Geoff Le Pard has also been completing the music challenge this week and it is wonderful to see how many of us have a similar taste in music. Today a song that always seemed to accompany my early break ups…Both Sides Now.. #recommended

What a great song His Geoffleship! I hadn’t hear this…since reading your original post!

3. It’s just one of those songs isn’t it. I remember your fond post about it earlier. I appreciate it more with every hearing.

4. Darlene says:

One of the best songs ever! And Joni is from my part of the world, Alberta, Canada. Just love her.

Joni Mitchell, everyone of her songs tell us so much about life, her’s ours. Sue Vincent discussed Woodstock, Joni’s song not the place, yesterday at
    https://scvincent.com/2017/04/12/music-that-means-something-day-5-joni-mitchell/. Thanks for exploring this song again. I couldn’t possibly pick a favourite they are all fantastic!

6. An older Joni performed this a few years back with a full orchestra….even more poignant with a bit of life experience. A gem.

7. I haven’t heard that in many years. I’m totally not ashamed to say I’m teary. The first two stanzas, especially, really got me.

8. Erika Kind says:

It is new to me but I like this kind of music very much!

9. paulandruss says:

Great choice by an incredible artist

10. JT Twissel says:

Such a sad song. Her voice is incredible – we actually have the same great grandmother but I’ve never met her. And I can’t sing!

11. A beautiful song Geoff 🙂

And… I’ll never look at these lyrics the same way again. I liked it when I had my own, like roses full of angel hair.