Taking It On The Chin #writephoto #flashfiction

The Pacific Basin

For three days, the coasts of eastern Australia, New Zealand and all the Pacific islands were inundated with a strange matted fibrous material, unlike any seaweed or plant life ever seen before. Samples were rushed to laboratories to analyse its composition. Its DNA was sequenced. Rumours began that it contained mystical healing properties and a market soon flourished in pastes and unguents that could be applied to the skin or added to a kale smoothie to protect against all known diseases. Other groups, based in remote wooden huts situated on mountains above tree-lines communed over the web and speculated what dastardly chemical weapon had somehow been released into the Pacific causing the inevitably deadly fibres to gather on the world’s beaches.

Meanwhile, far above the earth, Atlas sank onto his throne and accepted the tea from Athena. She gave him a quizzical look. ‘So why are you looking so smug? Apart from the fact you’re a god?’

‘I’ve just helped Horace have his first shave. He’s growing up, you know.’

Athena shook her head. ‘I’ll be the judge of that. He and that boy of Zeus’ were caught trying to extinguish a star by peeing on it, you know.’

Atlas waved the objection away. ‘It’s a big moment, removing the bum fluff from your chin. He only nicked his chin once, too.’

She narrowed her eyes. ‘What did he use as a sink? I hope he didn’t use one of those oceans? Atlas, tell me… come back here at once.’

This is in response to Sue’s #writephoto prompt

This entry was posted in #writephoto, creative writing, flash fiction, prompt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Taking It On The Chin #writephoto #flashfiction

Another one of your finest His Geoffleship! I had a giggle!

2. Thanks for the giggle on this dreary, soggy, Sunday morning.

Great Geoff, men even cock things up in the Heavens then? 🙂

4. Allie P. says:

thank goodness this wasn’t the first story I read with this picture as now I won’t be able to see anything but beard shavings.

5. goroyboy says:

Very entertaining ! Wonderful take

6. I’ve often wondered why it is called the Pacific Basin, thanks for clearing that up. One line was superbly brilliant and summed up boys everywhere, any time, perfectly. I’m liking your new mythology 🙂

7. floridaborne says:

This was so funny!

8. Thank goodness it wasn’t our part of the world. The Bristol Channel is nice as it is.

9. HaHA! Love it Geoff. You must do some more of these naughty Gods stories 🙂

You’ve revived my interest in Greek mythology!

Maybe you should view your Mars through the prism of the Odyssey and your trips through mud and rocks and vertiginous slopes merely yours and Hubs challenges to get back to your own little Illyria. Sometimes I’m sure there are Sirens calling you on!!!

11. Pingback: Photo prompt round-up – Empty #writephoto | Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

12. Haha! A very witty take on the prompt. I feel very sorry for those people drinking their smoothies…

13. ellenbest24 says:

Peeing on a star shaving in an ocean… Are you sure it wasn’t my huaband? Good response I liked it a lot!

14. Ha ha ha. Makes me want to skip my next kale smoothie. Loved this. 😀