10 things I didn’t consider when losing weight

20170217_004830

The new me

I’ve lost weight recently. Since July some 12 kilos have just evaporated. I needed to, to fit the ‘not obese’ criteria our medical faci professionals bombard us with. And losing those bags of sugar (which is the best way I have of visualising this loss – that’s 10 to 12 bags) has been a boon. Exercise is easier; I don’t sweat as much or get out of breath going up hill as much, my ribs don’t get sore bending over. My family have had nice things to say about how I look (okay, they’re biased but I’m not about to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth, okay?).

But there some unexpected consequences (you may say I’m naive but really I didn’t think about this) to weight loss. And while no one denies being healthy is a good thing, there ought to be a section on side effects, like on a medicine bottle. In no particular order I have noted the following;

1. I now have pleated jeans – in order for me to not act like some ridiculous teen, showing off my M&S undies, I have to yank in my belt and scrunch up all this now redundant material;
  2. Which means I have had to buy more clothes; I don’t enjoy buying new clothes at the best of times but to do so when my existing clothes aren’t worn out is simply galling;
  3. This then leads to the realisation that my shirts are too baggy and all scrunched up too, my jackets can double as tents, my pullovers could house a party of refugees and even my shoes feel a bit loose – did I have fat feet? I could have sworn the podiatrist said ‘flat feet’ but maybe I misheard;
  4. I’ve had to knock extra holes in my belts but all that’s done is leave me with so much extra that it’s like I can wrap myself twice;
  5. I’ve had to borrow my son’s ski wear for a skiing holiday I have coming up soon – which if you see his taste in salopettes you’ll understand my angst – a sort of snot yellow;
  6. I need more clothes anyway because whereas my personalised quilting kept me warm, now I need help. It’s forcing me to shop; it’s like the retail industry promotes slimming to boost sales;
  7. And my bum has gone, to replaced by these hard bones. I could once sit on anything and pretty much be comfortable. Now I need to add padding;
  8. I sag; okay, I’ve left my fifties behind so that’s not a surprise but losing weight does rather bring home what an unrelenting mistress gravity is. My neck makes me look marsupial;
  9. Friends don’t know what to say; of course they notice but no one comments. I found that surprising at first. I mean I’d not said I was losing weight. I thought it was bloody obvious. Eventually I mentioned  it, sort of in passing to a good friend as we went to watch some rugby. He looked utterly relieved. He assumed I’d contracted some awful wasting disease. Now I wonder if that is what everyone thinks. So I’m on the horns of a dilemma. If I say ‘hey look at me’ most of my friends will do what they’ve always done if they think I’m boasting – take the mickey mercilessly; if I don’t and they don’t comment, are they watching me to see if I’ll peg out at any moment?
  10. So I’ve started mentioning it, sort of casually. And happily most people are pleased…  for five minutes before they start on about how did I do it and why they can’t. And it soon becomes apparent that this whole thing makes them feel just a  little uncomfortable; which then makes me wonder if they wouldn’t have preferred the wasting disease; at least that way they could pity me.
img_0180

and the old..

This entry was posted in miscellany. Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to 10 things I didn’t consider when losing weight

So many things to consider His Geoffleship ! I was interested to see my sugar bag loss and I’m just shy of 14 kilos!!! That’s a bit mad!!!!!

2. Erika Kind says:

Haha! Just a warning for everyone who is on a diet… lol! You look great, Geoffle (but you already did 😉)

3. davidprosser says:

Congratulations, that’s a heck of weight loss. I wish I could do the same as my spare tyre now looks like the Michelin man.
    Hugs

4. Looking good Geoff. Well done but I know a lot of marsupials and your neck isn’t that hairy.

5. Such a great observation. When someone is young(ish) and loses weight, we are happy for them, give them our congrats. When they are old(er), it always goes to “Oh, no, what if he’s sick ? Should I mention the weight loss? “….Ugh. Humans !!
    p.s. I think you look great in both pics.

6. Congrats and you look very fit. There are lots of sad people waiting for you to donate those too large clothing and they won’t mind if they are too loose or too tight. You’ll be contributing to the cause and the economy when you purchase new threads. 🙂 Win, win. Now you just have to maintain. ;(

7. Yes, it is quite the problem as how to tell you notice one’s weight loss when you don’t know the reason for the loss. If they are sick, you feel angst mentioning it. If they have been dieting they are so happy that you noticed. Whenever, I see a woman I haven’t seen for a long time I always tell her she looks like she has lost weight, because I find women are always trying to lose weight!

8. Jools says:

You know I know how good this all feels Geoff. Big congratulations from another ‘loser’. Will talk again very soon about that guest post.

9. trifflepudling says:

!! I didn’t need to wonder for too long (you looked svelter in the birthday bash photos) as the Textiliste told me! It’s nice if people are concerned, though, but at the same time brings the old aging (Am. sp.) home to one. I think your feet seem smaller in the shoes because the 12 kilos isn’t pressing down on them (via gravity)? Very well done – your system must be pleased!

10. I’ve lost 22 kilos with another weigh in tonight (though not hopeful).
    Know what you mean about no bum and all bones (over 15 years have lost a whopping 14 inches off my backside), and can touch my toes for the first time in years! I hate shopping for clothes so making do with bagginess until they wear out. Elasticated waists are great for tying the knot!

11. FlorenceT says:

Geoff, definitely not a wasting disease…looking good! I need the secret to staying with the ‘program’ – guessing you have one 😊?

12. YOU look m.a.r.v.e.l.o.u.s. 😀 😀

13. cheyenne65 says:

You look great and the marsupial neck had me laughing out loud. Great thoughts!

14. Mary Smith says:

Well done, you! That’s a lot of sugar bags to lose. Afraid there’s not much to be done about a bony bum and gravity, though.

15. I love this. In an evil way. “Some 12 kilos have just evaporated” I would rate akin to “I turned my back for just one second and my investments tripled in value” or “That felony charge just went away for no reason at all”. You’re my hero 😀

16. Well, I’m glad you’re not dying. That means there will be more books and posts to make me snort my morning coffee coming along. Though that too may be changing – I’ve just been gifted a little espresso pot and now the morning lounge has become a morning slurp and we are up and at ’em running!! I’ve been on a slow downhill slide with weight for over a year – so slow that sometimes you’d swear a milligram loss is nothing at all …… It’s harder for us women of course our hips and bums hang onto the lard! Enjoy the shopping 🙂

17. Brilliant Geoff.. looking spiffing.. and as to the downsides.. we should all be so lucky.. In the blogger tonight.

18. I never even thought you looked overweight, but well done on the loss of all that sugar. Because I haven’t seen you in a long time, I’ll probably notice the difference and ask you “how did you do it and why doesn’t it work for me?” 🙄.

19. Congratulations Geoff, you look great! Bloody WP had unfollowed you for me so I have missed a lot of your posts ( I should have known that you hadn’t gone quiet deliberately). 😡😡😡

20. Pingback: Smorgasbord Blogger Daily – 8th March 2017 – Olga Nunez Miret, Geoff Le Pard, D.G. Kaye, Christy Birmingham and Norah Colvin | Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life

21. Well done, Geoff. It’s bloody hard to lose all that weight – and, honestly, you don’t look THAT ill.

22. Hahaha! 😀 People don’t mention this stuff, Geoff! You nailed it with those last two points. Laughing so hard right now. But, hey, loss of all that sugar looks great on you. 🙂

23. dgkaye says:

There are 2 sides to every coin, just as in life, Geoff. Women who obsess about their weight as they age know the secret, ‘don’t lose too much’, better to keep a little padding than have our faces fall, LOL. Gravity will get us all! 🙂

24. LucciaGray says:

Congratulations on losing so many kilos! You must tell us your secret. I count my losses by the 100 grams and it’s so hard to achieve!